Dry Fly Drier

john andrejcik

Reaction score
Help. I recently lost a dry fly fishing accessory that I didn't want to lose. Now comes the hard part, finding it to purchase. I've looked everywhere on the Internet, every fishing store I know and can't seem to find it, unless it is not manufactured anymore. If it isn't, someone out there should manufacture it soon to make some real money, cause it works very well, and I'll be the first purchaser of about three or four of them. It is a plastic bottle-type gadget that hooks to the outside of your fishing vest. It has two outer plastic walls that spin freely on each other as to open windows in the sides so that you can put drowned dry flies inside, hooked on little rubber sleeves around the middle post inside. Then you just spin the outer plastic walls again to close the windows. The flies stay inside the bottle even if they come loose from the rubber gaskets. Hence, you don't lose any flies, like you do from a fly patch. This bottle is about the size of a large pill bottle, weighs next to nothing, and REALLY does its job. I've searched high and low for it on all the major websites, Orvis, Fishpod, Umpqua, etc., etc., etc. and haven't seen hide, nor hair of it anywhere. If anyone has any good information where I can find it, I'd be most appreciative. I don't want anymore flypatches to lose flies off of. This bottle works. Thanks and Tight Lines. Bowbuster

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

JoJer

Reaction score
Can't help with the specific item you describe, but I built a similar item for the same reason: All my flys are debarbed so patches lose flys. Here's what I did: I found a soft plastic box 2"X 11/2" X 1/2". The lid has a molded hinge on the short side. I cut holes on the back to allow a big safety pin to pass thru and epoxied it flat to the inside of the box with the catch and spring on the outside of the box. I glued a flat sheet magnet to the inside of the bottom of the box. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom, sides and lid of the box. I put a couple of tight fitting rubber bands around it to keep it closed. It's safety pinned to the upper left side of my vest with the hinge down.
When I'm done with a fly, I open the box with my left hand, put the fly in with my right and let it close on the tippet, then clip the tippet out side the box. The fly is secured in a breathable container.
Occasionally, I'll end up with a wet bugger on top of a small dry to the detriment of the dry but this is seldom a problem. I'd post a pic but I'm still having issues with photobucket.