The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 01:26 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default fly fishing books

Hey guys another question, do you have a favorite book on fly fishing as far as tips and tricks go that you would recommend? What about a novel type story? Thanks for the help
Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly fishing books

Assuming you are talking trout here are a few of my favorites in no particular order.

Spring Creek Strategies by Mike Heck--the title says it all.

Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniels--Excellent book on nymphing techniques and has some great photos and recipes of flies.

Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbauer--good book for fundamentals and reference know matter how long you've been at it.

Handbook of Hatches by Dave Hughes--this book does a great job explaining the various hatches and which flies can be used.

Active Nymphing by Rich Osthoff--good book for some different nymphing techniques.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:20 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Nick Lyons' "Spring Creek" is a great "story" book.
Gary
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

I second Tom Rosenbauer I am just finishing The Orvis Guide To Reading Trout Streams 1988

Amazon.com: The Orvis Guide To Reading Trout Streams (9781558219335): Tom Rosenbauer: Books Amazon.com: The Orvis Guide To Reading Trout Streams (9781558219335): Tom Rosenbauer: Books

I also really really recommend Rosenbauer's The Orvis Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing 2011

Amazon.com: The Orvis Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing (9780789322258): Tom Rosenbauer: Books Amazon.com: The Orvis Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing (9780789322258): Tom Rosenbauer: Books

An excellent way to pick up on some fly fishing culture, history and just some clever, funny, entertaining prose is to pick up some John Gierach books. Not the poetry, which I've never read, nor the two instructional books - I've read one and it's good but not what I'm talking about above.

Amazon.com: Trout Bum (9780871089441): John Gierach, Gary Lafontaine: Books Amazon.com: Trout Bum (9780871089441): John Gierach, Gary Lafontaine: Books

I got all of these books at the library!
~

~
~
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach

Last edited by Noiso; 06-06-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM

steve_eth is on a distinguished road

Ive read about three of John Grierachs books and they are excellent.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

The River Why? and Trout Bum are two great fly fishing books.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I pretty much like any thing from Gierach, also a book called "Zipping My Fly" was an absolute HILARIOUS read by Rich Tosches.

I also finished a couple on my kindle that I dont remember, Something like the Nail Knot Murders, etc. Check amazon, There is a ton of fly fishing books.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

"True Love and the Wooly Bugger" and "A Good Life Wasted or Twenty Years as a Fishing Guide" both by Dave Ames are on my all time favorites list. "A good life..." is a book length story and "True Love..." is a colection of short stories.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey