The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Salmonflies

A friend took me to his favorite salmonfly spot recently. With the low water here in Colorado, the fishing was expected to be great if- and that is always a big if- the salmonflies were hatching. Well, for the first time for me, they were!
It was pretty great fishing folks! In two days I caught close to 40 and my friend landed around 50 trout. My biggest included a 19" rainbow and a very kyped 19" male brownie. My friend landed a 22" and a 20" rainbow.
I actually had several fish hit my salmonfly on each of two consecutive casts, and one hit it 3 times! I even hooked one fish twice on two consecutive casts! The fish were in a frenzy!
Now for the best part: These are wild trout and we never encountered another fisherman!!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:28 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Salmonflies

Congrats! The salmonfly hatch is the biggest crapshoot there is in western fly fishing. I've seen the grasses covered with the huge bugs and the air full and not a single fish rising to naturals or imitations. I've chased hatches for a week and never hit it. I've been completely lucky, too. But that is the rarity for sure.

The window in my area was slammed shut last weekend with heavy rain bumping the flows that had been dropping and fishable. Probably won't get chance this year...go for you FlyFlinger. It's a ton of fun when it's on!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I agree, I was lucky enough last year to hit it just right. The Salmon Fly hatch is my favorite time to be on the water... Throwing huge flies, catching huge trout.... what more could you want? The hatch was so prolific, you would cast to the bank and it was difficult to tell what insect was actually your fly. We still have a few weeks before the hatch begins for us here in S. Idaho. I just hope the water levels continue to drop in time.

Thanks for getting me thinking about it early; I anticipate a long couple of weeks ahead of me now.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! I've always wanted to hit the salmon fly hatch but never have. Watched a video of the famous Gunnison Gorge hatch and someday would like to try that, but as Dean mentioned it is difficult to hit the timing correctly.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I was fortunate indeed, and especially to have flows as they are normally in July!
My friend stayed another day and didn't see a single salmon fly! Here today, gone tomorrow as they say! He did have a nice caddis hatch though and caught some nice fish to 21".
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

The annual salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes is just wrapping up for this year. It is a pretty awesome time to be on the water. I caught a lot of fish this year during the hatch and pulled another personal best out of the river.

An almost 20" fatty. He had a neanderthal head.

Click the image to open in full size.

I love the salmonfly hatch, my favorite time of the year

Click the image to open in full size.

Other times of the year are more peaceful on the river, but not quite as special.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:18 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

The Deschutes salmonfly hatch is fabled like the Maddison and Big Hole ... I'd love to see that river sometime (and fish it of course!).

Well, after my complaining earlier it looks like I might have a window of opportunity tomorrow. The Rock Crick chart has been on a nice steep decline since peaking Wednesday midday. Barring heavy rains - which are a constant 50% chance right now - flows should be back to what they were last weekend when my friend caught a bunch of fish and lost a rainbow in the 3lbs range!

Here's hoping!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 PM

pinkygonzales is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Salmonflies

I caught my first (many) fish on dry flies just 2 weekends ago on the Lower Deschutes and get all juiced up just thinking about it. I had been targeting steelhead since the fall and love every bit of that challenge, but the sheer joy of seeing fish after fish rise to a dry fly is really more than I can express on a simple message board post. I have lost track of time, and work, and basic daily responsibilities ever since. I'm a ruined man. A very happy, addicted, fly fishing man.