The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Teaching others ???

As I have stated numerous times before I love sharing "The
Quiet Sport" of Fly-fishing with everyone I can.

I enjoy teaching the basics of a fly rod/reel. I also share
fly tying with anyone who wishes to learn to tie their own
stuff.

I am just curious as to whether or not any of you do the same &
do you charge $$ for your knowledge/time ?

I have never done that, but wondered about others out there
if they do.

Tie One On
Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Teaching others ???

Hmm, since nobody's gonna pay me for all the help I post, I wonder if we can figure each post is worth a nickel so I can write it off?

Just kidding y'all, I enjoy teaching as much as I can. The joy this sport has brought me can only be increased by teaching others.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:02 PM

steve l. johnson is on a distinguished road

This machine is not leaving me any room to type anything, forgive me if I mess things up as I am new to all of this and havn't spent as much time as I would like to on the computer...
As far as teaching people to fly fish, I probally learn as much as the people I am teaching, the real joy is teaching children, and I would go further to say that the girl's are my favorite as they seem to have more finesse...I have actually managed to teach 2 girl's aged 4 and 5, and they were capable of 20-25 foot roll casts and forward and back casts, I made it a game and they look forward to it every tine I see them. Some of the by-stander's are amazed at a kid casting a fly with a rod 3 time longer than they are.
I have taught people up to 77 years old, the oldest and was quite amazed at their abilities.
I do not charge for my teaching and would do it all day if they can stand it, it just goes on and on and ever how much you've got time for we'll go at it.
fly-fishing is fun and so is teaching people...

Steve L. Johnson

QUOTE=tie one on;17003]As I have stated numerous times before I love sharing "The
Quiet Sport" of Fly-fishing with everyone I can.

I enjoy teaching the basics of a fly rod/reel. I also share
fly tying with anyone who wishes to learn to tie their own
stuff.

I am just curious as to whether or not any of you do the same &
do you charge $$ for your knowledge/time ?

I have never done that, but wondered about others out there
if they do.

Tie One On[/QUOTE]
Old 12-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

teaching...scheaching! I call it sharing and I LOVE to do that! ;-)
Old 12-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I see nothing wrong with charging for lessons if you want to make it a business. I think to do it right you should get certified by FFF or some other organization. This will add some credibility to your lessons. Not that it will make you a better caster or teacher but it may provide more opportunity to give lessons. I would make up some business cards and spread them around to local fishing shops. Even a bass shop would be a potential customer.

Another approach is to provide a casting class with the local parks and recreation entity in your area. Charge a moderate fee to each participant. You might be able to provide lessons at the local Jr. college or regular college. All of these have a potential for making a little cash and helping other fly fishers. You can do the same thing with fly tying.

Frank
Old 12-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Right you are Frank. If it is how you choose to make a few bucks, I see nothing wrong.
I teach at the library once in awhile, but it is concidered donating my time to the Stonefly Society. I do work for guide co. also and in that case, the people plan on paying anyway. In fact as stupid as it sounds, the more money charged the unknown client might think...WOW they must be good. We can only hope...right, cause one bad guide hurts all guides.
I will say I am apprehensive (sp) taking money at times, cause I have had such a good time.
I only charge when my boss charges. If I ran into any of you on the water, I would be more then happy to SHARE whatever I got or know.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Thank you all for your responses. :-)

I'm very glad to know that there are so many out there that
truly love this "Quiet Sport".

I have never charged for my teaching either, but wondered how
others felt. I may at sometime in the future setup something,
as Frank noted & truly make it a sideline business.

keep getting your lines wet my friends,

Tie One On
Old 12-14-2007, 12:51 PM

unclebuck is on a distinguished road

As a new guy to fly fishing, I don't have an issue with paying a reasonable price to a knowledgeable instructor. I do agree with Frank with regard to getting certified. That would make me feel a little better about parting with lesson money if I knew that you were backed by some set standards. Maybe what I am saying is you have more than a few years under your belt.

Although, I am sure that most of you here may have learned from family or friends and suggestions from others you have met over the years and never had to pay for lessons. I'm not so lucky. I am still trying to figure out my way around and will no doubt look into taking classes.

Tie one on, your love of this sport is admirable and I can truly see your issues with charging. If you have the knowledge and others can learn to see this sport through your eyes and learn to love the sport as you. Then, I would say you would make a very good instructor and those you teach will have no problem with parting with a little lesson money.

Good luck to you,

UB
Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I teach at a local FFF club we started and love every minute of it!
From bass fishers to woman and kids (he best students!) to vets at a local VAQ hospital... it's all good.
As a certified instructor I never set a price. If the lesson is a great inconvenience to me in time or travel I will charge.
When I'm at an outing or other FF related function or doing lessons for local Boy Scout troops, TU or FFF clubs I don't charge a dime.
To me it's more about sharing the sport than getting rich.
The number of fishing licenses sold is shrinking and it seems the number of kids who never get the chance to enjoy the outdoors is growing. We HAVE to stop this trend if for nothing else but to have a fresh batch of stewards to protect our playground in the future.