The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Culturally Speaking

Took my fly rod and gear with me to work but was just too busy to wet a fly. Access to the rivers is extremely difficult, everything is privately owned except the odd small park if the river goes thru a town.

Culturally speaking things are just a little different, for instance you haven't heard Deliverance until played by a mariachi band! Beans have as many options as does the potatoe, refried (smooth or chunky) boiled with or without vegetable, and white bread is a flour tortilla. BBQ is salt and peppered then smoked, no other spices PERIOD and it can be considered an insult to ask for bbq sauce. I would give serious money to walk into a restaurant and see roast beef mashed potatoes and english peas on the menu. Ohh and one last thing, south Texas makes the best donuts in the world, crispy outside and as light as a feather...Who would have thought.

Dave
Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Culturally Speaking

Have you seen the June/July issue of Fly Fisherman magazine yet? Great article on Texas' Hill Country Bass. Nice pic's, patterns, and info on seven (7) bass and panfish streams in kind of a triangulated area from Del Rio, east to Austin, and north to Llano.

Looks like fun.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Have you seen the June/July issue of Fly Fisherman magazine yet? Great article on Texas' Hill Country Bass. Nice pic's, patterns, and info on seven (7) bass and panfish streams in kind of a triangulated area from Del Rio, east to Austin, and north to Llano.

Looks like fun.
Ah, Del Rio. I spent a lifetime there at Laughlin AFB ( 2 years) in the 60's
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post

Ah, Del Rio. I spent a lifetime there at Laughlin AFB ( 2 years) in the 60's
The article was written by Dave Whitlock (and his wife Emily), and he ranks his float trip on the Devil's River (flows to Del Rio) as one of the Top-10 fly fishing experiences in his life!

That's gotta be a pretty tough list to crack.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Sound like your getting the hang of S. Texas.
Yes,
Accordions rule
Beans - Charra or Borracho (beer)
BBQ should be dry and smoky, but tender enough to eat without teeth, though in central Texas we do like a little thin sauce, have you tried goat yet?
Tortilla - corn is best
The donuts are good because they use real lard

Also -
Jalapenos are snacks
Every meal should start with chips and sauce
Carne Guisada is about the best thing you can put in your mouth
Beer should be ice cold
Surely somebody around there has a stock tank to fish

If things get too crazy you can always run up the highway and come fish the river with me.
Hang in there, man.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
The article was written by Dave Whitlock (and his wife Emily), and he ranks his float trip on the Devil's River (flows to Del Rio) as one of the Top-10 fly fishing experiences in his life!

That's gotta be a pretty tough list to crack.
When I was in Del Rio The Amistad Dam was still a dream. I was in Ciuadad Acuna for the first Amistad festival. ( Wild) I wasn't into fly fishing at that time , but we did a lot of desert camping up by Pecos
Canyon, Langtry, Val Verde, & Big Bend & on the base proper. I still remember "Boy's Town" in Ciudad Acuna.
I'm sure the area has changed a lot in 40 + yrs but somehow I never thought of it as a fly fishing destination. I don't remember any non seasonal rivers but the Rio Grande. Most of the others were dried up in the summer. or for drainage. The dam must have really changed the area...
Old 06-08-2012, 01:24 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I'll take fresh tortillas and beans over white bread and potatoes everyday. But that's just me. In Montana, anything cooked outside on a grill is a "Barbeque". Don't talk about barbequed hotdogs down there Dave! But once you get up here, there aren't such pretensions.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I'll take fresh tortillas and beans over white bread and potatoes everyday. But that's just me.
I thought that too until about the 5th day of having beans served on every plate of food, McDonalds doesn't ask if you want a fried pie in south Texas!

Riverbilly: Carne Guisada is good, [see] Roast Beef & Gravy, if they would just put it on some toast and serve with mashed potatoes it would be game on.

Dave