The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 AM

rider14x is on a distinguished road
Default Help with first boat purchase

Hello eveyone,

I am in the market for my first drift boat. I live in Colorado, so the type of water I will be fishing will be quite diverse. I don't have a massive budget, so I have to buy something used. I think that I want a glass (Clacka or Hyde) or resin (Boulder Boat) hull, but am looking for suggestions. I am really intrigued by the Boulder Boatworks boats, but haven't seen anything used. Do any of you guys have any tips on where I could pick up a decent used boat?

thanks!
Nathan
Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with first boat purchase

Sent you a PM.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

My two cents...

Get a raft or a cat. In Co, there aren't many places to take a drift boat.

You will spend less and have a boat that you can take anywhere.

The only river close to the front range where you can take a drift boat is the Colorado, no reason to limit yourself to one river. Get a raft and float any river in Co.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I am a big Clacka fan. Been down rivers in a few and really enjoyed my time in the boats. Also, they are located on the other side of the Portland metro area from me and i have stopped in to fondle the boats a few times. The guys in the store have always been helpful and informative.

I will buy a 3 man pontoon before i ever get a drift boat. That drift boat will be a Clackacraft though.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:05 AM

rider14x is on a distinguished road

Thanks gentlemen. I like to fish the North Platte as often as I can, so I guess either a boat or pontoon would work for that. I'll keep doing some research for now.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I had a 2 man toon(pac 1200) and wouldn't buy another unless I was drifting rivers with serious white water. A Drift boat is alot more convenient on the water, easier for both anglers to fish and you can back row and hit a run as many times as your arms and back can handle. A good toon(I know scadden and others are pretty affordable, but not when you have to customize it to be fishable) will cost almost as much as a good used DB, so the cost shouldn't be a factor in the decision. With a DB you don't have anything to assemble or any tubes to worrie about leaking. Unless you have your toon on a trailer(wich adds to the cost signifacantly) you have 30min to an hour of setup time before getting on the water. Also a drift boat is alot safer to have anchored up in moving water, wich inturn makes it easier to fish from alone. I had my toon for about 6 months and it just never realy grew on me and I always wished I had got a DB instead. If I had I would still have the DB but the pain of dealing with the toon was too much for me and it went down the road in favor of a 17' tracker that I'm going to have tunneled and put a rock guard on the lower unit so I can run the rivers in the same places the jets go.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:38 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I would consider a raft outfitted with a fishing frame like those of NRS. Rafts will get you in more technical waters if needed compared to a DB. You can't beat the luxury of a DB and you can't beat the versatility of a raft. If floating rivers that are big (wide) with long stretches of slack style water with occassional rapids up to class II-maybe III than a DB is hard to beat. If you want versatility floating the same style water...and then turnaround and float a river with more technical rapids or a river thats on the narrow side a raft would be the more ideal choice. You could find a trailer fairly cheap for a raft if that would be of concern. Custom built, harbor freight, or jetski trailer all will work nicely for a raft.