The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM

beadhead is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Rod Choices

I would like to get other opinions on the selection of a new 6 wt. fly rod dedicated to fly fishing for stream Smallmouth fishing. Several articles I have read in the multiple fly fishing magazines have suggested the use of mid-flex or medium action rods for Smallmouth fishing in streams. I was of the opinion that a medium fast or fast action might be preferable for this type of fishing. There seems to be a movement to move to medium action even for Smallmouth. This has been happening with trout fly rods for some time. I have even seen an article suggesting the use of medium action rods for saltwater fly fishing in back country and bay or inlet situations. If there are windy conditions, it was suggested that the fisherman simply move up to using a rod one or two wts heavier, instead of using a fast action rod. It was suggested that fast action rods still had their place in fishing the surf. Is this the new trend?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Rod Choices

I think the norm was medium actioned rods until the trend became fast rods a few years ago.
It's probably supply and demand. The demand for soar shoulders dropped so the demand for more reasonable rod actions grew!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think the industry may have realized that pushing "fast, faster, and fastest" for rods has set alot of new buyers up with a rod that isn't very well suited to their casting abilities. Thus there may be a shift back towards rod actions that aren't so fast.

I generally think of fast rods as still being ideal when casting longer distances, and slower rods more ideal when you will be casting to spots closer to you. Long casting situations aren't restricted to saltwater or fishing from a boat. Similarly, short casting situations aren't restricted to small trout streams.

If you're going to be fishing for smallmouth on small streams, but will be pursuing big fish, a medium action 7wt might be perfect. If you're going to be fishing larger rivers for 1lb smallmouth with trout and panfish mixed in, and like fast rods, a fast 5wt might be best.

It's your call. I just think that its erroneous to think that there is a specific type of rod and only that type that is suited to a given species of fish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 AM

headhunter is on a distinguished road

Get out and test as many rods as you can. I know that I cannot cast a fast action rod very well. Moderate/Medium mid level action is best for my casting style.

One rod company's version of a fast rod may not correlate to another.

To use the golf analogy..all stiff shafted drivers are not the same....

Cast what is comfortable for you. Fast action rods have a place in the world. If I could cast like the Rajeff brothers I would probably use one.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhead View Post
I would like to get other opinions on the selection of a new 6 wt. fly rod dedicated to fly fishing for stream Smallmouth fishing. Several articles I have read in the multiple fly fishing magazines have suggested the use of mid-flex or medium action rods for Smallmouth fishing in streams. I was of the opinion that a medium fast or fast action might be preferable for this type of fishing. There seems to be a movement to move to medium action even for Smallmouth. This has been happening with trout fly rods for some time. I have even seen an article suggesting the use of medium action rods for saltwater fly fishing in back country and bay or inlet situations. If there are windy conditions, it was suggested that the fisherman simply move up to using a rod one or two wts heavier, instead of using a fast action rod. It was suggested that fast action rods still had their place in fishing the surf. Is this the new trend?
Hi beadhead,

Magazines articles are a good source of information but you have to be picky about your expert. Some writers will say anything to sell a story. The trend to faster and faster rod actions began back in the 80's and the rod companies were only selling one or two actions of rods. Today we are fortunate to have some of the best casting rods ever available and most rod company are making multiple actions of rods. When you read reviews of rods it is always by an experienced caster who knows how to cast. The main criteria for rating a rod is power and distance. If you want power and distance you will end up with a fast to extra-fast rod. If you want to fight wind you need high line speed and the best choice again is a fast to extra-fast rod. Obviously a heaver line will work better in the wind but who wants to fish for bonefish with a 10wt rod. If I am going to be fishing in wind and want to cover big water I want a fast to extra-fast action rod.

Now there are casters that cast poorly with a fast action rod and in this case a medium action rod is the best choice for any type of fishing. The slow/medium action caster might have to move up to a heavier rod to cast in the wind but that doesn't mean it is the best approach.

If I was going to be river fishing for smallies I don't think I would want a extra fast rod like the Sage TCR. I could be very happy with a slower action rod like the Sage ZXL or a faster action like the Z-Axis. The key to getting the right rod is to cast them before you buy them. Magazine writers and posters on this board can only give you what they have experienced or have read. Your satisfaction with a particular rod may be entirely different than mine.

Frank