The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By streamwalker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:21 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default First time fly rod in the river!

Alright since i got my fly rod i have been practicing on lakes. Well today was a test! Me and the girl friends dad went to the redies river in wilks north Carolina. Wet waded up the river for 3 hours and i fly fished every bit of it! Loved every minute! Caught plenty of perch and a few bass but i did catch an amazing brown trout! Right around 18 inches! Great for my first trout on a fly rod! I cant wait to get back in the river this week!
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Noiso and gatortransplant like this.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First time fly rod in the river!

Great first trip report! I found that the only better feeling, so far for me, is to catch fish on flies that I've tied myself!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great first outing on the river, congrats!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys! And i wish i could tie my own flys haha

Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, I would say the addiction has completed its course and recovery is no longer an option.

Dave
Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Congrats let the fly fishing obsession begin.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 06-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Congratulations,

I believe you'll find that river fishing is more fun than still water. The current helps you to cover more water and cuts way down on stripping line and casting.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 PM

Yea i love river fishing and i like the current helping but sometimes when the fly gose down the side i dont want it to pass me on it can be a little bit of trouble. And ut seems like when i cast if i take a few steps the fly is past me haha! But im for sure obsessed now! I went out and bought me just some field and stream waders today..for when the water is cold.because i froze my balls off! I also got me a net i missed a fish because i didnt have one so i got one haha.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like your having fun, can't say I agree with Ard on this one as I like to fish stillwater in my float tube, but I also like to fish the river. So, for me, not more fun, but definately different, and it does have its own challenges and rewards. Have fun, get a good pair of flannels to put under those waders for the winter time and some warm socks and you can fish year round.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Sounds like your having fun, can't say I agree with Ard on this one as I like to fish stillwater in my float tube, but I also like to fish the river. So, for me, not more fun, but definately different, and it does have its own challenges and rewards. Have fun, get a good pair of flannels to put under those waders for the winter time and some warm socks and you can fish year round.

d
Thanks webrx i was wonder what to put under the waders during winter but now i know! And i think fishing still water and rivers of both a great time. Its nice to see a huge bass jump out of the water at 7 am and grap your popper! And its the only ripples around.