The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default What camera do yall use?

Ok well being im use to boat fishing on the lake a camera choice is easy. But fishing in the river is a whole new story. Everything gets wet and even if u put it in a wet bag when u go to take it out your hands r still wet..so what camera is water proof and still takes great photos? I would love to post pictures of the fish i catch. Thanks guys!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: What camera do yall use?

When I am on land taking pics of the kids or traveling, I have either a Canon 30D DSLR or Nikon Coolpix S8100. On the water, Nikon AW100s.
I got a great deal on the AW100s on eBay...Didn't even consider Olympus or Pentax.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I use a Pentax WG-1...last year's version of this:

Pentax Optio-Wg-2 Review: Overview

It takes useable photos of fish...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Alright thanks guys ill look those up after college classes but are those both water proof? I would look i just dont have the time right now

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I recently purchased an Olympus Tough TG-820. It is a water proof camera, that actually takes great under-water pics and video. I think is was in mid $300's, but so far so good. Easy to use, not TOO MANY options.

I will eventually upload some under-water vids....

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

For when I know it wont get drenched I use a Canon 30D SLR. I have taken it fishing with me but just have visions of dunking it. For water situations, I have a Panasonic TS3. Its been a great fishing camera and doesnt mind getting wet one bit.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Panasonic Lumix. They have Leica lenses. I got rid of my Olympus and Pentax waterproof cameras. The Lumix photos are outstanding.

See the reviews below:

"As far as image quality is concerned, results from the TS3 are consistently at or towards the top of our tests in this group regardless of the shooting scenario. In everyday shooting, the TS3's images are perfectly usable for everything from web use to reasonably large prints."

The Lumix's 72 score is rated higher than any other camera in the test.

Panasonic Lumix Test: Digital Photography Review

Group test: Waterproof Compact Cameras: Digital Photography Review

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-11-2012, 01:06 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Da kine dat take pitchers...dat kine.

I use a Olympus X-560, but I'm not real enamored with the pics it takes.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

if you are looking for a waterproof camera then the best one out (well coming out here in the next week or so) is -

Tough TG-1 iHS

f2, with a oled display
Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

If you read the camera test I posted you will notice that the two highest rated cameras both have German lenses, Panasonic (Leica) and Sony (Ziess) . That is no coincidence. I have really been disappointed with the other brands' photo quality.

My non waterproof point and shoot camera is Sony and it also takes great photos with its Zeiss lens. Electronic bells and whistles are good, but what ends up on the photograph is mainly determined by the quality of the camera lens.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy