The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM

stoverscover is on a distinguished road
Default Trout Pond Problem? Maybe

Hey everyone I have my own Trout pond and I have it stocked with rainbows and with brookies. I originally stocked it three years ago with both types of trout. This year however I have not been seeing many Brookies so I decided to go with just rainbows. I thought that maybe the Brookies are a little bit more sensitive then the rainbows and that just wasn't the best environment for them.

Yesterday I caught a nice size Brookie on a Hairs ear nymph and it is the first one I have seen in about 9 months. When I go the fish to the shore and was taking the hook out i noticed that the gills were larger then the gill plates? almost like its head shrunk but not it's gills, why would this be happening? I have seen maybe one or two rainbows like this as well.

So my question is why is this happening or what can i do to fix it? Thanks for your input!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trout Pond Problem? Maybe

Its due to being hatchery raised in crowded conditions with less than ideal water quality. I doubt it has anything to do with your pond but stems from bacteria within the hatchery. Do you have any wild reproduction?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM

stoverscover is on a distinguished road

No I don't believe so I don't have quite enough running water. All the rest I've caught seem to be quite healthy. They have easily doubled in size since the original stocking. So will that fish survive normally, will it have a shorter life span and should I remove this fish so the others don't get it.

Also why would my rainbows thrive and not the Brookies are they just down deeper and I'm not getting my fly down to them? I have tried regular tackle too with trout bait and got nothing for Brookies
Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I would talk with a fisheries biologist and see if there can be an accessment of your pond made to determine what species will do the best. There's so many different variables its best left to an expert.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The issue may well be that the two types of fish 'like' very different habitats. I found some good reading here: Trout Pond Stocking - FAQ