The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Do you Fly Fish with your Kids / Grand-kids

Fly Fishing with Kids….
I was reading through some old post about fly fishing with kids…. Many of these post sounded negative. Meaning it was more work than reward. I wonder how many fly fishers in the forum actually bring their kids or grandkids fly fishing?
Out here in Boise, they just recently stocked a pond with some rainbows. I thought it would be a good time for my son (just turned six) to actually cast in water to fish rather than practicing on the lawn.
We did not have much top water action, but after we switched his fly out to a small leach, game on. He caught hooked 9 fish, landed 6 with one true hog. Thank you Idaho Fish and Game……
I will admit that teaching a six year old how to get a fish on the reel is difficult (you have to be able to deal with lots of lost fish), but once you do, the rewards are amazing.
My best all time memory fly fishing was last year when my son cast, set the hook (dry fly action), got the fish on the reel and netted it all by himself. Thinking of it still makes me smile.
We actually have a few back packing trips (frank church wilderness) planned for this coming season. We will hike as far as he can, and set up camp. I am so glad to have a new fishing buddy. This will not replace my frequent trips with friends, but it makes for a great addition to a pastime that I am already passionate about.
Do you fly fish with your kids…..?

Click the image to open in full size.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Do you Fly Fish with your Kids / Grand-kids

I didn't take my kids fish'n and I regret it. Grand kids live too far away but I did get one of the grand daughters a fly outfit after she showed some interest in tying.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:36 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I bought my 12yr old a Pflueger medalist rod/reel combo for his birthday this year, he caught his first trout the second time out. I dont take him as much as I should, and he wants to go. I usually go to get some stress relief, and enjoy my solitude, and thats always my excuse for going alone. I take my boys when im spinner fishing or drowning worms, but i prefer to fly fish. My 8 yr old daughter loves to go fishin too, and i told her i would take her one weekend soon.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

My dad and grandfathers started taking me fishing as soon as i could hold a rod. However, they were all bait/gear guys. Whenever i saw someone fly fishing i was entranced. It wasnt until much, much later i finally learned the art.

Now, my son is 3. I am hoping to get him into some fish for the first time when we go to a family outing in the Gorge in Aug. I got him a little Shakespeare Ugly Stik junior kiddie rod. It is a good place to start. In a few years i will get him a kids fly rod when he can understand the mechanics of the casts.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM

halibutk is on a distinguished road

My boy caught his first fish at 18 months old and has joined me on the river fly fishing since he was 2 and his little sister joined when she was 3 months old.

Boy is 2 years old and little girl in pouch is 3 month old.

My little girl checking out her first fish at three months old

Last year my boy was only 4, we bought him waders from Oaki wear and he out fished me at times but i had to do the casting most times. Here is a short video of him casting and catching all by himself. This is his first truly unassisted fish on a fly rod. I was lucky to capture on video.

Note: I was too shocked at him truly catching a fish all by himself with no assistance from me. I was videotaping him casting when he hooked one. I wasn't going to miss this and if the fish died we would have ate it. I felt bad for the fish but it did swim away just fine. Since this video we have talked about proper release and handling. He has learned that and I have since bought him a little net to net the fish in the stream. He is doing a decent job at it this year

He is 5 now and we bought him his first fly rod. A 8'6" 5 wt. We have lots of casting practice in the yard. He rushes his casts and they pile up but he can get it out to 30 feet consistently which is all he needs for the streams we fish here. I cant wait till he is out fishing me this year.

Some of the spots are just a bit hard for him to get to . However in a couple weeks the real good fly fishing starts and he will be waiting on the front porch every day when i get home from work to go fly fishing. He did that last year and he keeps asking when.

Also I take him to the fly shop to buy flies to fill his box as rewards for being good, doing his school (we teach at home), etc. It helps me to justify buying more fly fishing stuff by telling the wife it is a reward for him.
Noiso likes this.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

What an adorable video!

I have gone fishing with my good pal/fly guru's kids and it is a fun experience - seeing the wonder on their faces. I also took my 15 year old nephew out when I was visiting him. Always a great experience for everyone involved.

"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

halibutk, that is an awesome video. I don't have any kids, but I take my wife, I assume it's pretty similar to taking a child
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I've only been fly fishing a couple of years. My son in law wanted to try it which eventually led my daughter wanting to try it. Both now are fully equipped to fly fish.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

My son loves to come fishing with dad

My daughter is more into tying but she is getting more interested in fishing now

Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
halibutk, that is an awesome video. I don't have any kids, but I take my wife, I assume it's pretty similar to taking a child
Uh, I'm guessing she doesn't read your posts here, huh?

Here's our first lesson:

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey