The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Bait fisherman

I had a very full schedule this weekend from my daughters dance recital to a girl from my offices wedding.Well after the wedding i told Ann lets go to the lake and in the morning fish the river, the water will not be rising til 2pm, so we load up and head out on the 2 hrs drive at 9pm.I had called the lady that was going to let have an entry slip and she said to meet with her on sunday at 2pm. Well i woke at 5:30 to rain on sunday and waited til 7 to go fish in the rain.Pulled in where i park on this road and hit the water ancd fishing was slow with no hatch coming off at the time i nymphed and then around 11 a small hatch started and fishing was not bad caught about 16 before leaving.As i exited the river a lady and her husband that let me told me to park at their place that their neighbor was starting to run the local folks off and anyone else who tried to fish there and he only owns 30 ft of river front.Well i thanked her and walked back to my truck and the first thing i saw underneath was a blue plastic empty worm can.Well i got it out and threw it in the back of my truck so the rest of us would not get blamed.Now i have nothing against soaking a worm i just prefer not to fish that way anymore.But it seems to me that there are alot of bait boxes left and all fisherman get the blame.I don't want to streotype but it seems some of them just leave whatever the carry to the stream and empty is left stream side or in the stream.It just ticks me off cause i seem to always come in afterwards and get the blame even though i clean up their mess.Sorry for rambling but some of you know how i feel..
axle27 likes this.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bait fisherman

Hi Shannon,

If I had a dollar for every empty bait container, hook package, and gobs of mono I've found and picked up I would be living large. If we were to extend that into cans, bottles, broken glass, and all other imaginable form of camp site refuse then I would have my own Bush Hawk float plane

The only thing a fellow can do is to lead by example. There will be times that we will be prejudged because of the transgressions of others but in the end you live with your conscience.

That's what I think,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-11-2012, 03:54 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

It's not simply just this scenario....it's alot of things in society. I don't think it's just this generation, either. This sort of thing has been going on for a long time.

There will always be people who just do not care and will do whatever. It's more commonplace now because they feel they can get their "15 minutes" from Youtube and such. Somewhere along the way, a good many people gave up teaching their kids about responsibility and accountability.

Soapbox is put away now....
Old 06-11-2012, 04:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Bait fisherman

Click the image to open in full size.
mojo, Noiso and wt bash like this.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I am not a big fan of bait chuckers/worm wetters either.
A buddy and I were fishing in our usual spot this past winter for some Erie Steel. We had been on the river for about a half an hour when we saw a bait chucker come walking up the river. Our usual stretch is about 50 yards long, so enough for 2 of us to comfortably fish yet still carry on a conversation. My buddy turns and looks at me and asks me if I am going to say something to him. I responded by saying that he was probably gonna stop down river and we wouldn't have anything to worry about. Keep in mind, we were the only 2 on this section of the river and he was still a good hundred yards down. well, he didn't stop...walked right up with his spinning gear and started fishing between the two of us. As if that wasn't enough, he had a fish tied by a rope from his wader belt, dragging behind him like he was a dog on a leash that had just gotten loose from its owner...walking on the bank, across a gravel bar, back into the river, back on the bank...I have nothing against taking fish (I am a C&R guy and don't even eat fish!), but c'mon seriously?!
Gave one look to my buddy and without a word we packed up and left.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bait fisherman this weekend. Went to Chicago for my niece's birthday and gave her a 7' 1/8 oz spincasting rod that I built for her (she's 5). It's pink with light green thread wraps (her favorite colors) and a green flower on the bottom of the cork grip. It came with a pink tackle box covered in flowers. After she opened it, I showed her how to cast and within 5 min she was casting 15-25 ft regularly.

We went to a local park Sunday and she loved catching bluegill and a catfish using sausage as bait. We picked up our trash and took it with us. The only messy people I saw around that day were some folks having a picnic. Don't really use bait personally but made my day to help her catch her first fish. Look forward to having that day with my little girl too, but she's only 15 months.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
I am not a big fan of bait chuckers/worm wetters either.
A buddy and I were fishing in our usual spot this past winter for some Erie Steel. We had been on the river for about a half an hour when we saw a bait chucker come walking up the river. Our usual stretch is about 50 yards long, so enough for 2 of us to comfortably fish yet still carry on a conversation. My buddy turns and looks at me and asks me if I am going to say something to him. I responded by saying that he was probably gonna stop down river and we wouldn't have anything to worry about. Keep in mind, we were the only 2 on this section of the river and he was still a good hundred yards down. well, he didn't stop...walked right up with his spinning gear and started fishing between the two of us. As if that wasn't enough, he had a fish tied by a rope from his wader belt, dragging behind him like he was a dog on a leash that had just gotten loose from its owner...walking on the bank, across a gravel bar, back into the river, back on the bank...I have nothing against taking fish (I am a C&R guy and don't even eat fish!), but c'mon seriously?!
Gave one look to my buddy and without a word we packed up and left.
#1 reason I gave up fishing the tribs, since I moved back to Ohio every year it seems to get worse. Worm cups, roe bags, floats hanging from the trees, inconsiderate fisherman ( fly, spey, gear, and my favorite center pinners) it never seems to get any better. In a weird way I'm glad the trout fishing is poor, atleast I can fish in realative peace!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When we started we were talking about litter and trying to pin it to the bait guys. Now we're digressing into manners............ No problem. I have to tell ya that the worst offenders I have encountered were carrying fly rods and were dressed sort of like me.

Last year during the King salmon season I was parked and wading along shore sneaking up on a nice bunch of fish when down the creek came a boat. The boat was idling and there was a 'Guide' on the tiller. He was holding the boat against the current so it was only creeping down stream very slowly. there were 3, Three, sports in the boat. All the sports were dressed up sort of like me but they all had a 'River Runs Through It' hat on their heads they were up stream and tossing weighted rigs on bobbers (oops, indicators ) down stream from some pretty snazzy fly rods. I was laying out short casts of maybe 30 foot and swinging into a troth. Yep! The 'Guide drifted that boat right into my cast which I checked and let pile into a heap. The sports? Well they just fished right through me like I wasn't there. Sweet huh? Late season on the Kenai I had two wads do the same thing to Nancy & I when we located some silvers and they too were chucking the indibobbers and were dressed sort of like me.

I could go on and on but you'll have to take my word that I have run into some of the worst and can't name a one who was slinging bait. It goes without question when you find empty bait & hook packages that a bait guy was behind the deed but they aren't all bad just like all fly fishers aren't all bad.

I would continue but I feel like I'm Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

It is very easy for us to generalize. Why? It's darned useful.

"Hmm. That last saber tooth tiger we met was rather unfriendly. Maybe we shouldn't generalize though? Yes, let's give this one the benefit of the doubt."

This guy took a quick left turn out of the gene pool.

We're all capable of it. It is funny and fun to poke fun at bait fisherman and any other group that differs from us. Taking this too seriously and forgetting that we ourselves are not perfect leads to darker things though. I like to give most people the benefit of the doubt just for my own peace of mind. It is no fun walking around angry and hateful all the time. How are you supposed to tie a decent clinch knot when a certain part of your anatomy is tied into a clinch knot to end all clinch knots? And the most uptight group of them all is probably the hypersensitive politically correct - at least in my neck of the woods. Selfishness and idiocy are not going to go out of fashion any time soon. I don't care to hold my breath anyway.

Yep, I'll stick to throwing nerf balls from the deck of my glass house. It is fun to vent now and again though, isn't it? That "Bait Fisherman Suck" jpeg is hilarious - nearly croaked of a laughter induced heart attack.

Here's some nerf balls for our step brothers the bait fishermen. . . .
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-12-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Just trying to keep the Peace here, sorry
Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM

Keith Williams is on a distinguished road

Bait fishermen suck, My wife is a BAIT FISHERMAN. Does she ever leave trash by the stream side, lake, exc. Never! in fact like many of us (fisherman)she beings a bag to pickup trash. She, like myself was taugth by our parents to treasure the outdoors. My 5 children and 11 grandchildren carry on doing the same. DO YOU!
I think we adults, parents are not investing the time to teach our children.
I have been flyfishing off & on for 40 years. I am not very good at it. But enjoy trying. I still bait fish now & then. I love Mass. Strippers on my 9' uglystik.

I don't mean to stir the pot, but the problem is more then BAIT FISHERMAN SUCK. Lets pass on the lessons we were taugth by our parents when we meet offenders stream side, schools exc. MHO