Your Fly Of The Week, trout, bass, etc.;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to live in The upper Mid Atlantic area and fished for trout year round. When fishing I often would stick to a fly that was producing until there was little left on the hook except the wings and head. Some flies made it for several days and others were torn to shreds in a single evening.

Whether you fish dries, nymphs or streamers, if you have had a good days or a good weeks fishing while using the same pattern post it up. If you have a picture of the actual fly, great, if not a quick pic of a copy is good too. Show us the one that 'Got er done'.

mudbug

Reaction score
I made it out to one creek this week and managed just a couple dink browns and a desert sucker.

Size 18 Bead head Natural Hare's Ear Nymph.

It was on a dropper under a Dave's Hopper, but I had no strikes on the hopper.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Don't have one for this week, but two weeks ago I fished the upper Deshutes, and Matolius Rivers. The fly that I couldn't take off that week was a red "Copper John". Lost some in the rocks but got home and tied a bunch more plus ordered some different colored wire.
This week I've tied a bunch of "batman's", and "sparkle prince nymph's" that I'll try next time on the water.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
This week, I fished a small creek with a various dry flies.

But the previous three weeks, I was fishing stillwater. Here's the fly that that ruled those weeks. I call it a Hen and Gray. I use it as an emerging Callibaetis mayfly.

Hen and Gray|

Hook|Partridge Klinkhammer sz 20
Thread|Gray Uni-Thread 6/0 or 8/0
Abdomen|Clear Micro Stretch Tube
Thorax|Pearl Ice Dub
Hackle|Gray hen hackle

MP

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
MP, I like the looks of that fly....My fly of the week was the Butch Caddis, the little native Brookies I fished to absolutely loved it.

Dan

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
MP
How do you fish that fly?
I fish that fly as an emerging Callibaetis mayfly. I cast it out and let it sink to the desired depth. I use an full intermediate sink line with a 12 foot leader tapered to 6x. Once the fly is at the depth, I slowly strip it in with an occassional pause.

MP

Tracker12

Reaction score
MP thanks for the technique. By the way when you say still water are you talking about lake water or large river water.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Ard, IMO this is a great thread idea. I hope enough guys jump in to keep this thread bumped for a long time. It's fun to see what others are using.
I've already had fun tying some "butch caddis", and getting materials together to tie MP's, "hen and gray".

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
...and getting materials together to tie MP's, "hen and gray".
Hey Jimmy. Don't get too caught up on the hook choice. I use that Klinkhammer hook because it has a nice curve to it.

One thing to know about the Klinkhammer hook. Compared to other styles, its size is actually a bit larger than it actually is. A #20 Klinkhammer hook is the equivalent to a #16 or #18 Tiemco hook. If you want to tie the pattern on something else, try a #16 TMC 2302.

Since it has been two weeks since I fished that soft hackle, here is my new fly of the week. It is called Wier's Whopper. It was developed by fly fishing adrenaline junkie, Mikey Wier, and is distributed by Idylwilde Flies.

Last Wednesday, it caught me some fish like this one.

MP

Jimmie

Reaction score
Hey Jimmy. Don't get too caught up on the hook choice. I use that Klinkhammer hook because it has a nice curve to it.

One thing to know about the Klinkhammer hook. Compared to other styles, its size is actually a bit larger than it actually is. A #20 Klinkhammer hook is the equivalent to a #16 or #18 Tiemco hook. If you want to tie the pattern on something else, try a #16 TMC 2302.

MP
Thanks MP. Maybe try some 200R's? I'd like to get some klinkhammer hooks anyway. IMO that klinkhammer is an awesome fly.
That Wier's foam fly that your tying is awesome too. Neat fly.
This week I've been tying Ricard's callibaetis:
Dennis Rickard's Callibaetis Nymph

That along with some mono eye Damsel nymphs. I'm tying up some still water flies for my trip to the lakes around Mammoth in a month so I haven't fished them yet.

Jimmie

Reaction score
The fly that saved the day for me yesterday was the "Renegade". That's twice now that fly has been the hot one. I'm going to tying a bunch more this week.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3cArZmEHPM]YouTube - how to tie a renegade fly[/ame]

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Since it has been two weeks since I fished that soft hackle, here is my new fly of the week. It is called Wier's Whopper. It was developed by fly fishing adrenaline junkie, Mikey Wier, and is distributed by Idylwilde Flies.

Last Wednesday, it caught me some fish like this one.

MP
Nice hopper Dennis;)beautiful muscle bow:clap:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hi JP,
Thanks for the kudos on the fly and the fish.

It is a new weeks, so here is my entry. It is called Hogan's Hangin' Stimi. This pattern was designed by Idylwilde contract tier and Northern California local, Hogan Brown. I used a yellow size 10.

I fished the Lower Yuba during the last few hours of daylight. One thing of the river is that the trout are picky. I threw a bunch of different hoppers with a bunch of refusals. I was drifting a Taylor's Fat Albert when a Golden Stonefly buzzed my fly. Within a few seconds a trout ate the stonefly. I quickly changed to a Hogan's Hangin' Stimi. Within three casts that trout was on the fly. Within a few minutes, I landed a 17" Rainbow Trout. The rest of the evening was spent watching refusals and long distance releases.

MP