The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 PM

2012185 is on a distinguished road
Default Rewarding Little Fish

Well today looked like it was going to be great weather to go out on the river. In the 80s and sunny. However the day goes on and the clouds come and of course the second I make it to the river it starts to rain.... and rain. But, instead of wasting gas I decided to ignore the rain and keep going. The fish didn't bite at all and I was soaked and ready to go home. But just as I about to pack and leave, I threw out one last cast and caught a tiny fish whos species I couldn't even tell. But it didn't even matter, it was awesome and reminded my why I started this!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rewarding Little Fish

haha well better then the week i got going on here! today was rain tomorrow is rain and wensday is rain...i hope the river is clear by friday or saturday because its eating me alive to jump in! but small fish are great to catch sometimes..and no mater what size the fish its really how amazing some of them look is what makes me love this sport. hope you get another chance later in the week!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Me too! Still trying to catch a trout. No luck yet.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Where do you live? I have fished in the rain more than fair weather I believe and often do well in the downpour. By the way did you get the friend request I sent? I spotted your numbers on my blog visitors and so sent the request.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Somehow I think your idea of a small fish could be a bit different than mine. As an Alaskan you probably think my state is small!
Did you get any photos? Did you ID the fish?
Your attitude is inspiring as usual sir.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Where do you live? I have fished in the rain more than fair weather I believe and often do well in the downpour. By the way did you get the friend request I sent? I spotted your numbers on my blog visitors and so sent the request.

Ard
I am from Western New York and yes I got your friend request!

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
Somehow I think your idea of a small fish could be a bit different than mine. As an Alaskan you probably think my state is small!
Did you get any photos? Did you ID the fish?
Your attitude is inspiring as usual sir.

Haha no photo, too stormy to bring out the camera. But this was really just a little guy. No more than 8 inches!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I finished up the day last Friday fishing in a full blown thunderstorm
Not only did the black flies leave me alone, but I had the river to myself
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Yikes! I thought Ard posted this - probably because he was the last to comment and I was tired. Great attitude anyway. And yes - 8" is a good fish in some of the streams I fish. Too bad no pic.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

do yall still use a natural fly in the muddy water or do yall use something with some color to it? because the water i looked at today was just so brown it didnt look promising at all lol
Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
do yall still use a natural fly in the muddy water or do yall use something with some color to it? because the water i looked at today was just so brown it didnt look promising at all lol

I am very new to fly fishing like you are. I was told that when the rivers were murky, you should use streamers. Look for the thread I started called Murky Waters. The long answer is there.