The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Redington Crosswater vs Redington Pursuit for beginner? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/286997-redington-crosswater-vs-redington-pursuit-beginner.html)

brewskier 06-12-2012 08:07 PM

Redington Crosswater vs Redington Pursuit for beginner?

I currently have this setup. 8'6" 4wt Trout Stalker rod.

I am in search of a 5 wt rod, simply because I think I will have an easier time casting in a breeze than I do with my 4 wt. both of these Redington rods are apparently good for beginners... one is a moderate action, while the other is "fast action". Both are about the same cost.

Which one is recommended? Looking to fish for rainbow and brook trout mainly.

Thank you

wabi 06-12-2012 09:12 PM

Re: Redington Crosswater vs Redington Pursuit for beginner?

Good deal on the Crosswater here - REDINGTON CROSSWATER 590-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com

I bought my son a Crosswater (old model) outfit (9' 5wt 2pc) a couple years ago and it's been a very good rod. I like the action so much I've considered taking it back a few times. :eek:

MoscaPescador 06-12-2012 10:56 PM

Keep in mind that the Crosswater rod has a one year warranty. Redington is very strict on that.

The Pursuit rod has a lifetime warranty.

If you are thinking long time use, buy the one with the better warranty. When or if you break the rod, you will be glad that you have a lifetime warranty.

brewskier 06-12-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 462818)
Keep in mind that the Crosswater rod has a one year warranty. Redington is very strict on that.

The Pursuit rod has a lifetime warranty.

If you are thinking long time use, buy the one with the better warranty. When or if you break the rod, you will be glad that you have a lifetime warranty.

Would a fast action rod be good for a beginner though? I'm still working on my casting.

Maybe I should just stick with the one I have for the time being. A 4 wt does decent.

Good point on the warranty though. I definitely wouldn't mind the extra $20 for a lifetime warranty.

williamhj 06-13-2012 12:09 AM

Some say a faster rod works better in wind. I'd go with the warranty too, my brother broke his Ross tip for the 4th time :shocking: . But since he got a great warranty with it, they'll replace it yet again.

MoscaPescador 06-13-2012 12:23 AM

The Pursuit rod is not that fast compared to other rods. It actually is very forgiving.

If you feel it is too fast for you, the rod can always be slowed down by using a heavier line.

Dennis

brewskier 06-13-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 462856)
The Pursuit rod is not that fast compared to other rods. It actually is very forgiving.

If you feel it is too fast for you, the rod can always be slowed down by using a heavier line.

Dennis

That's good to hear.

I've eliminated the Crosswater from my list of choices.... would the Classic Trout model be a good upgrade from the Pursuit? It's moderate-fast action from what I gather. It's a decent amount more than the Pursuit combo, though.

wabi 06-13-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

I definitely wouldn't mind the extra $20 for a lifetime warranty.
You would also have to send $30. with the returned rod for repair/replacement, so if you broke it it would actually be costing $50. for the warranty. ;)

MoscaPescador 06-13-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabi (Post 462967)
You would also have to send $30. with the returned rod for repair/replacement, so if you broke it it would actually be costing $50. for the warranty. ;)

And when your rod is out of its warranty period, you are out of a rod.

I guess that's not so bad if you want a new rod anyways.

Dennis

brewskier 06-13-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabi (Post 462967)

Thanks for the info.

Would the Classic Trout be better than the Pursuit?