The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 PM

brewskier is on a distinguished road
Default Redington Crosswater vs Redington Pursuit for beginner?

I currently have this setup. 8'6" 4wt Trout Stalker rod.

Amazon.com: The Trout Stalker - Complete Fly Rod & Reel Outfit from Stone Creek: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: The Trout Stalker - Complete Fly Rod & Reel Outfit from Stone Creek: Sports & Outdoors

I am in search of a 5 wt rod, simply because I think I will have an easier time casting in a breeze than I do with my 4 wt. both of these Redington rods are apparently good for beginners... one is a moderate action, while the other is "fast action". Both are about the same cost.

Which one is recommended? Looking to fish for rainbow and brook trout mainly.

Thank you
Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Redington Crosswater vs Redington Pursuit for beginner?

Good deal on the Crosswater here - REDINGTON CROSSWATER 590-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com

I bought my son a Crosswater (old model) outfit (9' 5wt 2pc) a couple years ago and it's been a very good rod. I like the action so much I've considered taking it back a few times.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that the Crosswater rod has a one year warranty. Redington is very strict on that.

The Pursuit rod has a lifetime warranty.

If you are thinking long time use, buy the one with the better warranty. When or if you break the rod, you will be glad that you have a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Keep in mind that the Crosswater rod has a one year warranty. Redington is very strict on that.

The Pursuit rod has a lifetime warranty.

If you are thinking long time use, buy the one with the better warranty. When or if you break the rod, you will be glad that you have a lifetime warranty.
Would a fast action rod be good for a beginner though? I'm still working on my casting.

Maybe I should just stick with the one I have for the time being. A 4 wt does decent.

Good point on the warranty though. I definitely wouldn't mind the extra $20 for a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Some say a faster rod works better in wind. I'd go with the warranty too, my brother broke his Ross tip for the 4th time . But since he got a great warranty with it, they'll replace it yet again.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Pursuit rod is not that fast compared to other rods. It actually is very forgiving.

If you feel it is too fast for you, the rod can always be slowed down by using a heavier line.

Dennis
redyote likes this.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The Pursuit rod is not that fast compared to other rods. It actually is very forgiving.

If you feel it is too fast for you, the rod can always be slowed down by using a heavier line.

Dennis
That's good to hear.

I've eliminated the Crosswater from my list of choices.... would the Classic Trout model be a good upgrade from the Pursuit? It's moderate-fast action from what I gather. It's a decent amount more than the Pursuit combo, though.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:10 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't mind the extra $20 for a lifetime warranty.
You would also have to send $30. with the returned rod for repair/replacement, so if you broke it it would actually be costing $50. for the warranty.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
You would also have to send $30. with the returned rod for repair/replacement, so if you broke it it would actually be costing $50. for the warranty.
And when your rod is out of its warranty period, you are out of a rod.

I guess that's not so bad if you want a new rod anyways.

Dennis
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Thanks for the info.

Would the Classic Trout be better than the Pursuit?