The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By theboz
  • 4 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Fishing for squirrels

Yea you heard me thats my new explination for my backcasts going into trees I dont know how much time and money I have hung in the local venus fly traps but Im gonna need to get a lone to replace it Do I just suck or am I not the only one who doesnt make christmas special and goes around decorating trees all year? I spent some serious time on a crawdad imataion of my own design just to put it up in a big live oak yesterday so someone please top that so I dont have to feel like the dummy playing tug o war with the local maples.....
Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fishing for squirrels

Haha! Part of the game. I know you don't want to hear this but try a roll cast and save a squirrel!
jpbfly, Noiso and bucktail like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

mcnerney, jpbfly, bucktail and 1 others like this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Man, I used to have a major problem with that also. I went to a 6' rod and 90% of my back cast tree problem went away. I fish small warmwater creeks that have a lot of canopy. I tried roll casting with my 8.5' but I have had better success with my short rod.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes getting caught up in trees is inevitable. If you are fishing a spot that is loaded with overhanging limbs it is all part of the game. Recently, I've become more aware of checking my casting lane and will look give it a look before I start my first cast. This way I know how much room I have to work with. Also, this helps me determine what type of cast to make--roll cast, dapping cast, single hand spey, etc. If I run through the types of casts I can make in my mind and don't have confidence I'll just move to where I can get a better cast at the same target. This is especially the case when I'm fishing an area that has more sparse limb cover.

Squirrels make for some nice dubbing though!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:03 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the humor and advice guys I went to a pond with no trees today and did pretty well
Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

At one time or another we all have "Hung up" in Trees,Bushes,as mentioned it's a part of Flyfishing as sometimes we think its OK however the misfortune happens,I've even had to break branches off trees to retrieve my Flies,Leader & Tipit.
I have never caucht a Squirrel yet,hooked a couple of hats,a friend,a Bat,a mate once caught a Duck.
Brian.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

The line will shoot where ever the rod tip points last (per L. Kreh). Your back cast doesn't have to be directly opposite where you want to send the fly. If you're hanging up in trees behind you, change your backcast so it shoots up instead of back. If you only have a lane over the water back cast where you have clearance, then turn the rod and cast at your target. If you got no lane at all-roll cast or sling shot.
I fished some small, over grown water on Sat. My big (frustrating) boo-boo was switching the reel/line from my 9' 4wt to a shorter rod and not changing out the the long furled leader- most casts were just over the length of the leader and I didn't have room to get line out of the guides to load the rod. What a dunce! I have to admit that I was so exited to be on some nice water that it took me most of the time I was there before I got to figuring out what was wrong.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
The line will shoot where ever the rod tip points last (per L. Kreh). Your back cast doesn't have to be directly opposite where you want to send the fly. If you're hanging up in trees behind you, change your backcast so it shoots up instead of back.
Any cast where the two limbs of cast are at less than 180 degrees can lead to a tailing loop. So if you make a standard high backcast followed by the forward cast at less than 180 degrees, you can get crossing and tangling of the fly and rod legs of the loop. This type of cast is called a steeple cast.

"7. Trying to cast the backcast and forward cast at an angle of less than 180 degrees [in the plane of the rod]

I'm running out of succinct definitions. Make a high backcast, then make a high forward cast and your loop will tail. Why? Dumb question, the tip has dipped beneath the Straight Line Path. Of course there are times when it's the only option: just to give you a feel for this, a vertically orientated Steeple Cast has a backcast/forward cast angle of considerably less than 180 degrees. And that's why it sucks of course."

Tailing Loops - description and cure

Steeple Cast

A way to minimize tangling of lines is to widen the loop formation AND to separate the high backcast and forward cast horizontally. For a tailing loop to form a "wind knot" the two legs of the loop must form in the same plane. If you do a bit of an oval cast by tilting the rod to the side on the back cast and bringing it overhead in the forward cast, you can separate the two legs a bit horizontally so they will not tangle.

Watch the video below. When he is facing you stop the action and he makes the forward cast and you will see that the fly leg of the loop is OFFSET to the right side of the caster compared to the rod leg of the loop. This is the HORIZONTAL separation you get with the rod tilt on the backcast and the overhead forward cast.

In the video below there is a bit of trickery going on some of the casts. Notice that when he turns sideways and makes the high backcast, on some of the casts, he delays a bit until the backcast falls lower before making the forward cast. If he did that with a tree behind him, the backcast would hit the tree before he begins the forward cast. The delay allows him to avoid a tailing loop.

Timing and a convex rod tip path to form an open loop are also keys to prevent hitting a tree on the backcast and avoiding a tiling loop.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy