The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:21 PM

roloc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to roloc
Default What kind of trout is this?

My best guess was a Cuttbow but now I am debating that. It is pretty young so it is hard to tell also I was in some sketchy water so sorry for the bad pictures.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What kind of trout is this?

It has the cut throat spot thing going on. You should leave them in the water to photograph unless you're gonna kill them and take them. Sorry to bust you on just a forth post but I figure sooner is better than later when we're talking C & R fishing right?

Glad to have you posting with us and please don't take offense to my remarks.

Ard

Doesn't this look better?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM

No offense at all. But honestly I was in some water I probably shouldn't have been standing in. And was freaked out about trying to walk him somewhere else.

I debated just letting him go without the picture (like I did almost all others this morning) and like I do most of the time, but I couldn't tell what it was and wanted to get a shot of it.

He did swim off fine though minus some mucus I am sure. Thanks for the advice and the help identifying.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy to see you posting with us and hesitate to scold new folks about fish outta water but figured I'd get it over with. I am by no means a never kill a fish type but I release all the trout with as little trauma as I can. I do sometimes slide one up to the edge of the sand or gravel once I have a camera in hand. Sometimes if you really want a photo a fish just won't stand still for it so.......

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Yeah I do to generally, and this guy was out of the water for no longer than 15 seconds. In the water for as long as it took me to get my camera out. Slid him up on the rock that I happened to be hiding behind the current with and bam picture and back int he water. Although admittedly from the pictures he looks way more traumatized than he was.

I am glad to be a part of the forum and maybe that's not a good first impression, I really don't feel I did any extra harm to him other than the hole I put in his lips .

Also I would like to add that while this is only my first handful of posts I have been lurking for quite some time, nice site you got here!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Glad you like the forum, let us officially put the fish thing to rest okay. We have many different forums here topic by topic, have you scouted around many of them?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Ohh yeah, I have been around them all. I just decided to come out of the shadows and figured you guys could answer what the heck that fish was for sure.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:47 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Looks like a rainbow to me, but . . . ?? better photos.

anyway - I guess I am going to have to start keeping the fish in the water too, when it is safe. and you gotta admit - that is one hell of a photo!
mcnerney likes this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-16-2012, 04:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I think roloc's fish is not very stressed. Take a look at it's eye in his photo below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roloc View Post

I use Eye Set as an indicator for exhaustion and near death in trout.

What I mean by eye set is the direction the pupil is looking when the fish is out of the water. I've noticed that as a fish gets exhausted the pupil becomes centered in the eye of the fish, but fresh fish look down.

I've used it to assess the condition of a fish when taking photos. If the pupil is centered, I revive the fish.

Closeup photos

mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

in the first picture it look like a rainbow.