The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 PM

knewbee is on a distinguished road
Default Found a lot of fly rods..

I was hoping I could get some help.. I found several old fly rods about 25 of them. Most are ID'd and some I cant find anything about them. After looking at 800 fly rods Im guessing this one is Heddon? It is very well made. Many of the parts seem to have been once gold plated and some of the threads look gold gilded.. I also found another signed Thomas Caine. Its very dark almost black. I will try to get some pics of that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My name is Smitty. Thanks

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Found a lot of fly rods..

If you've looked at 800 rods you probably know more about this than I do. If the butt is not marked then you either have a refurbished rod (but it doesn't look it) or one that someone finished themselves. Your best bet is to match the silks and tips to known production rods from Heddon. Silks along with total weight and length should tell you what model it is. As for Tom Cain, I have not heard that name but if all rods are from same lot he may have wrapped the unmarked rod also.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM

knewbee is on a distinguished road

The construction looks pretty close on this one, but the cork handle is a different shape.

Scarce FOLSOM ARMS ( by HEDDON ) 8' 3/2 Bamboo Fly Rod | eBay
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I don't think its a Heddon, they'll usually have a pretty dramatic swell as shown in the Folsom from your link but I could be totally wrong (definitely wouldn't be the 1st time!). It could be a custom order rod from someone like H.I. or Montegue, while most of their rods weren't highly regarded but every know and then they turned out some gems to show they could do it. I would send some pics to Coldwater Classics or Cordella Sports to get a solid answer.