The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Fishin' in Austria (part2)

After our stay in Gerlos we « moved » to the Hotel Forelle(it means trout in german) for three days.The hotel owns the upper part of the Tuxbach a wonderful mountain stream.Click the image to open in full size.
On the first day we fished the section near the spring.Here the Tuxbach is rather narrow but easy to fish and wade,it runs through meadows and as it was hot many cows were drinking.It didn’t disturb our fishing very much and we could catch many browns but less bows than last year.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
On the second day we fished the middle section,it’s a very fast one.That’s why not many anglers go there,but if you’re familiar with fast water techniques your fishing will be absolutely amazing.All the little spots near the banks and behind rocks are taken up by trout.The average size is around 12’ …I shouldn’t say that… but sometimes you may think there are too many fish!!
On the third day we explored the section just after the little canyon,the stream is a bit wider with lots of places for trout to hide.Nico was in great shape and I was treated to catch after catch. I don’t know how many we could land but it was a lot,a great number of browns and some bows which jump out of the water and rush downstream like mad when they’re hooked.We had to follow some of them for a good 100 yards and were lucky our reels were well set.
.About gear,Nico used his old Scott G 955 with his alu Vivarelli and a 4wt line and I fished with my Cortland brook series 10’ 4wt,I have to say again it’s a great rod for the money…Nico tested it for a while and agreed it’s not”too bad”…so…
The Tuxbach isn’t a wellknown stream in Austria but it’s for sure one of the richest in fish I’ve ever seen.The Hotel Forelle is comfortable,the cooking great at a very reasonable price.When we left the boss asked me about our fishing…but he already knew my answer…GREAT!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fishin' in Austria (part2)

I have been waiting for part two, nice water and it looks like you guys had it pretty much to yourselves. You should have had my 7'9" with you

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Thats a great picture with the cows in it, beautiful country.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Lovely report! looks like heaven...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

JP great report it looks like you and Nico had a great trip--- Did you know your son is famous? I heard there's a fly pattern called "Nico's Favorite"

Beautiful scenery and great looking wild fish!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Simply a great report and great pics. I really appreciate you taking the time to post. Just fabulous scenery. I'm green with envy but I cant find the icon for the little green smiley face.

Best Regards, Boser
Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have been waiting for part two, nice water and it looks like you guys had it pretty much to yourselves. You should have had my 7'9" with you
Ard ,long ago I guided a japanese guy on the Loisach...he had a short rod...it didn't take long for him a 10' one was far better

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
JP great report it looks like you and Nico had a great trip--- Did you know your son is famous? I heard there's a fly pattern called "Nico's Favorite"

Beautiful scenery and great looking wild fish!
Thanks Mark...I'll post about the flies we used,Nico managed to fish for two days with the same one...just imagine how it was after catching so many fish
Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

"The average size is around 12’ …I shouldn’t say that… but sometimes you may think there are too many fish!!" I feel for you my friend; what a terrible problem... Great pics and report JP...You have to love those feisty Bows....

Dan
Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: Great fishing report and photos! The Tuxbach looks like a great mountain river to fish, good to see you and Nico had such a great time fishing together. There is nothing like getting the chance to enjoy fishing with your son!

Larry
Old 07-22-2010, 06:59 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

JP, thank you for sharing both the austria threads it is a very beautiful place, and the pics remind me of further south in NZ (Austria part 2), nice looking fish too

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD