The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Simms Rivershed Boots....BOOOOO!!!!

I bought a pair from Cabelas a few years ago, and the felt wore down quickly. The laces disintegrated, and I've never had boot laces break before. The top (where you put your foot in) has a thin layer of some sort of vinyl trim, and that disintegrated quickly. They served their purpose, but I thought they'd last longer for the money.

Last September/October, I bought another pair with Vibram soles. The Vibram was nice, but has worn significantly since they were purchased. I'd say 50% of the lug material is missing. The front of the Vibram has peeled away from the midsole on one boot, and both boots have lost the vinyl material around the top. When they were new, the Vibram worked well. Now it's just okay. I ranted about Made in China products in another thread, and this is my only major piece of Chinese gear. I rinse and dried both pairs after each time out, so it's not a matter of neglect. I have a pair of Columbia hiking shoes, and they've received daily use for over two years. They show very little signs of wear, and put the Simms to shame in that regard.

The Vibram Riversheds won't make it through the summer, so it's time to find something that is better built. It's to bad, because the Riversheds offer great ankle support, and I can stand in them all day.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simms Rivershed Boots....BOOOOO!!!!

That's too bad Frank. My first pair of Riversheds got me 3 years out of them, but the front sole started to peel away. I threw some goop on them and that worked for a bit. By the time I needed a replacement the studs were worn down to nothing and the boot was just not supportive any longer.

I replaced them with the same ones you have and they are holding up fairly well though the front is starting to peel away again but I am not concerned yet.

Try taking them to the fly shop where you got them and see if they can work with Simms, or try to resolve on your own.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The felt on the first pair didn't peel away, but the front had the most wear. I bought these from one of those lifetime satisfaction stores, so they're going back. I bought them at least at the end of September, and might have used them 7-10 times between November and March. That's 4 months of use, tops. I had a pair of Hodgman boots, and the felt began to peel away after years of use. It became a tripping hazard, and that's what prompted the purchase of the felt Riversheds.

I'd hate to go back to less comfortable (yet cheaper and more durable) boots. Actually, I can't; the Rivershed's fit has spoiled me.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

FWIW Ive been thrilled wth my G4 guide boots and they only are like $30-40 more than the Riversheds. I fished them over a year now and they are stll holding in great. I am no little guy either I weigh 245 and typically put 3-5 miles on them minimum when I go fish.

Sorry to hear yours arent holding up, that sucks for the amoiunt of $ they cost
Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 PM

I was looking at the Simms Guide boot, and wondered if they were made better. I'm willing to spend the cash if the boot is going to last. That Mickey Mouse vinyl trim around the top of the Riversheds makes the boots look 10 years old when it wears off in a month. Off to the Simms site to take a look...

P.S. There is a Simms authorized Vibram re-soling shop within 30 minutes of where I live. I was going to call them for a price today, but forgot.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For me the 'double thumbs up's' goes to the new Korker Chrome's. Ware out the bottom? Not a problem, you can replace it for $30 to $40'ish dollars. Very comfortable to ware, excellent support and best yet ...... so easy to get on and off.

Love that last bit at age 70.

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing/chrome.html
Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
FWIW Ive been thrilled wth my G4 guide boots and they only are like $30-40 more than the Riversheds. I fished them over a year now and they are stll holding in great. I am no little guy either I weigh 245 and typically put 3-5 miles on them minimum when I go fish.

Sorry to hear yours arent holding up, that sucks for the amoiunt of $ they cost
I probably don't fish as much as some of you all but my G4's are going on 3 years old. They are heavy but a great boot.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
For me the 'double thumbs up's' goes to the new Korker Chrome's. Ware out the bottom? Not a problem, you can replace it for $30 to $40'ish dollars. Very comfortable to ware, excellent support and best yet ...... so easy to get on and off.

Love that last bit at age 70.

Fishing Wading Boot | Chrome | Korkers

Agreed. Well, except for the 70 part. Dont have that perspective.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I had the G3s and they shrunk. Got G4s and now they have shrunk. Cannot fit my foot any longer. Very disappointing considering the cost. I love the boots but with that outlay of cash I expect more. Probably 100 days a pair.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Anyone have any idea if the made in U.S.A. military issue jungle boots would work?