The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default what weight IS the rod?

Acquired a couple new rods this year, one being a custom rod built on a 6'6" Lamiglas fiberglass blank. The rod is marked 3wt by the maker, and the only 6'6" blank offered by Lamiglas is indeed sold as a 3wt.
I started casting this rod with a wf3f line when it arrived, and it did cast the line, but I had the feeling it was really a bit too much. I know a glass rod is slow, but this rod was flexing to the cork when it loaded?
Ordered a dt2f line to try, and it was an improvement, but it still felt like it would cast a lighter line easily. The dt2f line did give me slightly more distance on the cast (than the wf3f), and roll casts beautifully.
Got a wf1f line yesterday and spooled it on a reel this morning. This line feels even better to me on an overhead cast. It is a bit breezy here this morning, but casts of 30' are still possible. Any further and the wind just piles up the line, though. Will have to wait for a calm evening to really see what it will do with this line.

My question is:
Are E-Glass blanks normally that forgiving when it comes to line size? I wouldn't really feel handicapped fishing a 1, 2, or 3 weight line on this rod. All three weights handle fine with just an adjustment to the timing of the casting stroke.

Maybe I should try a 4wt line on it next.

Last edited by wabi; 06-16-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-16-2012, 08:58 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: what weight IS the rod?

Wabi,

I think most all rods will handle a variety of lines in the hands of an experienced fly fisher. And the one line which suits you the best, may well not be the one that suits another fly fisher of exactly equal experience and ability the best.

Quote:
All three weights handle fine with just an adjustment to the timing of the casting stroke.
That is the key. The reason for differences between equal anglers is nothing more than preference.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:23 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Mike, I'm no expert on rods, but believe what you're experiencing is not unusual. Most rods, regardless of the material will cast different weight lines, and quite well.

I have a couple of old fiberglass rods that I've tried different lines & they all seem to cast fine, with the major difference being in distance. Which IMO is what you might expect. They seem to cast anything from a 4 wt up to a 8 wt quite well within about 50 ft. Even a 3 wt works fine, but just doesn't load the rod very well until I get a lot of line in the air, which I rarely do anyway. A 9 wt line is a dog on them, way too much weight IMO. I've come to prefer a 6 or 7 wt on them just because those sizes fit my fishing the best, and I rarely need to cast further than 40 ft. Those fiberglass rods are a lot of fun on panfish & average size bass.

I believe it also gets outside the "technical" design of the rod, and more into your personal style of casting & preferences & "feel". Perhaps another person casting that rod will prefer a specific weight on it as the one that feels right to them. "Feel" is something that just can't be designed.

Frankly, you can call it a multi-weight rod. IMO it would be a nice feature to have a rod that casts various line weights so well. Gives a lot more possible versatility. Get yourself a nice reel & several spare spools, and you can do a lot with a rod like that! Spools are a lot easier to carry than extra rods.

I'll bet it's a sweet rod on tiny streams!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Took the Lamiglas 3wt with the 1wt (wf1f) line to the local lake this morning. Still a strong wind to fight, but I thought I'd see how it did on the water.
Able to get my fly (#14 PT nymph tied w/copper wire) out about 25-30'.

Hooked a nice (8") bluegill the first cast, and they sure are fun on that rod!

After catching a few bluegills I decided to get my 5wt Greys rod (same 6'6" length) out to compare.
Only a very short gain in distance with the 5wt rod fighting that wind!

As usual most of the bluegill hooked on the light rod were big, and the ones on the heavier rod were small.

Think I'll use the Lamiglas 3wt fiberglass rod more often when I'm targeting "gills. It makes the 3wt graphite (8'6" Ross Essence FS) feel like a broom handle in comparison.
(And I like the roll cast I get with the Lamiglas & a DT2F line.)