The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default not fly fishing but.....

I thought I'd share it anyway.

Yesterday was one of those days when work had me really worn down. I'm a plumber, but was an electrician many years ago (around here both trades used to be frequently combined) and still do a few small jobs for some of my best residential customers. (legal under Ohio's & local regulations)

Well, yesterday I had a good customer ask me if I could hang a ceiling light for them while I was there. It turned into a 2-3 hour endurance test (of my legs & back) on a step ladder. Had to reinforce the ceiling box mounting to hold the light fixture (turned out to be a chandelier ), then they wanted the light I replaced hung in another room.

By yesterday evening I just didn't feel like casting a fly rod, so I substituted a baitcast outfit and a folding lawn chair for my evening outing.
Trying to catch a large channel cat for a recipe I recently read (stuffed - baked catfish) that just sounded good to me.

Didn't get the catfish I wanted (caught & released a few smaller - under 3# - ones) but I did manage to hook a big snapping turtle!
It was so big I couldn't lift it with the rod I was using (8'6" Shakespeare Ugly Stik salmon/steelhead rod) and it was in a bad mood once I drug it into the shallow water along the bank. I'm guessing 20-25 pounds!
Unfortunately, turtle season is close here at the moment.
Fortunately, I was able to release it unharmed (but still in a very unfriendly mood).
Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not fly fishing but.....

Sounds like a good ending to a long day on the job wabi! That's one of my favorite parts of fly fishing and fly tying. They are both very relaxing and provide a very enjoyable escape from the daily grind.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming that you meant that you were unharmed.
From my dealings with snapping turtles, that's quite an accomplishment

Quote:
Fortunately, I was able to release it unharmed (but still in a very unfriendly mood)
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Snapping turtles never seem to be to happy when hooked! And getting the hook out is always a joy. Glad they don't like flys!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm assuming that you meant that you were unharmed.
From my dealings with snapping turtles, that's quite an accomplishment
Actually the turtle did get to wear a new piece of "lip piercing" jewelry back to it's lair. It was imbedded in it's beak so well I decided it would be better to just cut the line at the hook eye than to play hero with the pliers and take a chance on traumatizing it further.
I, on the other hand, did manage to come away with no loss of blood (or hide) so I think of it as a totally successful release.

As for turtles not liking flies, I have been lucky there, too. Never had one bite a fly, but I did have a painted turtle take a chunk out of a foam strike indicator this spring!

Went back to try again yesterday evening and caught a big softshell turtle.
It took the hook deep, so I just cut the line as close to it's mouth as I could.

Got up this morning and grabbed the fly rod for fishing. I might be a slow learner, but I figured out it's much less stress (on me) to release fish than turtles.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: not fly fishing but.....

It sounds like a relaxing fun evening sands the stess of hook a snapping turtle.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Anybody else here remember having Campbell's Turtle soup? I grew up near the Campbell's cannery and can recall folks catching big snappers that they'd sell to the soup company.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey