The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Do you "steal" fish?

Yesterday I went fishing with my friend JM and really enjoyed myself because I could test my new Sylk line and we found two swift pools where dace were feeding....I've already said here how much I love that fish it's the most exciting fish to catch on dry I know...it's extremely spooky,rises on the dry like a grayling,often only touches the fly with its "nose" without taking it....so you strike everytime you think the fish has really caught the fly... yesterday I caught some by a fin...the back...or the "nose"...that's what we call "stolen" fishgot a deserved yellow card for thatIt very seldom happens with trout or other fish
Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you "steal" fish?

Happens from time to time, yes. Apparently the rules in the Fly Fishing Championships is if it's ahead of the gill plates, it's considered a "fair" catch. I dunno though, I find it hard to be proud of catching something unless it's in the lips.

I've had when using dry/dropper where they'll hit the dry and as the fight goes on, the dropper hooks them in the tail. The dry pops out and then I end up fighting the fish by the tail or wherever the dropper hooked em. I don't use tandem rigs much anymore because I've had this happen a lot! Could be I'm not leaving enough room between the two flies!?

Other times I've had where a fish slams my fly, I set up on the fish land it and find the hook buried in the fish's back or on the side. I think in this case they may be looking to stun it first and then come back around to eat it!? Or it could be they missed and the hook just tags them elsewhere!?

Still baffles me sometimes when you "snag" a fish. How does that happen!? lol

Nick
Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Nick said! It happens to all of us from time to time, what can I say...........give me a yellow card!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Boy I must have multiple yellow cards this week! Fishing for fluke( summer flounder) off the beach many took the Clouser as it was falling on the top of the cast but almost as many were hooked just below the mouth on the under side of the head. They were chasing bait into the wash and I think they were smacking it with there flat bodies. Never seems to happen in deep water away from the beach. All I know is they tasted good. Shows even saltwater fish get stolen sometimes!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I'll agree it does happen,this season I've caught 2 Stolen Fish,one was hooked just near his Dorsal Fin,I really thought I had hooked a huge fish however it was still around 4 lbs.
Brian.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Happened to me today. Was kind of surprised to see a foul hook with a dry fly. Not something I'm proud to see.

That being said I couldn't stick a damn fish if you paid my today. Such a demoralizing ride home. I think I raised every damn fish in the pool (some nice looking ones) and blew it every damn time.
I was going to start a thread about how much I stink but maybe I'll just pout about it here.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Happened to me today. Was kind of surprised to see a foul hook with a dry fly. Not something I'm proud to see.

That being said I couldn't stick a damn fish if you paid my today. Such a demoralizing ride home. I think I raised every damn fish in the pool (some nice looking ones) and blew it every damn time.
I was going to start a thread about how much I stink but maybe I'll just pout about it here.
When I foul hook a trout on a dry fly when the fish will look but not take, I figure there's something wrong with my fly or presentation. I'm close but not close enough. I don't like taking fish that way and certainly don't count them as 'caught'. But it's not intentional.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I lassoed a land locked salmon

The tippet was around the fish's head behind the gill plate and was held there by the hook.
The hook never penetrated the fish at all