The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM

amateurforever is on a distinguished road
Default The most versatile fly rod: 5 or 6 wt?

I'm thinking of buying a new rod, and was wondering what is the all round rod's weight? I mean not only for trout, but for the major fishing situations and species. I do not mean pike or saltwater fishing or stuff like that though!!!

I see they all are talking about 5 wt, but to me it looks some kind of limited for bigger flies and waters. But a 6 wt, it's capable of longer distances and bigger flies, but is it soft enough for small dries?

Saying that, have a good deal on a Winston GVX 9 ft 6 wt, does it make a good candidate?

Thanks for comments
Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The most versatile fly rod: 5 or 6 wt?

I have both and the line weight is so close between them that you could do with having just one. I would say to get the one you want and not get too caught up in trying to find a great difference based on the line weight. The action of the rod will mean a whole lot more than the weight of the line when differentiating between 5 & 6.

Ard
shotgunfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Think of the payloads that you wish to throw mostly. Make your decision based off of that.

Dennis
Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

A 6 will do almost as well with the smaller flys and much better with the larger flys...my vote goes to a 6.

That being said you are much better off with a 5 and a 8 imho.

Mosca is right on the money though...too often people match the fish with the rod weight. Unless your getting into bigger species, you will be much better off matching the size of the fly to the line weight imho.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
A 6 will do almost as well with the smaller flys and much better with the larger flys...my vote goes to a 6.

That being said you are much better off with a 5 and a 8 imho.

Mosca is right on the money though...too often people match the fish with the rod weight. Unless your getting into bigger species, you will be much better off matching the size of the fly to the line weight imho.
I agree with the comments above and I fished a 5 weight fly rod in Colorado for many years catching trout to over 7 pounds. I now live in Arkansas and in the situation where you my catch a blue gill on one cass and a 5 or 6 pound bass on your next could require two rods depending on the weight of your flies or streamers.

In time I also think depending on how large of the biggest fish you might catch and what you have to throw at it that maybe two rod like a 5 weight and a 7 or 8 weight might be a better combination.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

For me an issue where I fish is how much wind I will have to deal with. In the western part of the state there isn't that much wind unless I am fishing a saltwater beach. Then the wind often blows right at you. In the central part of the state (where I fish a lot) the blows often and hard. If you are dealing with wind you will likely prefer the 6 weight.

Another issue is what kind of "trouble" a hooked fish can get you into. Do you fish in or near a lot of weeds? Do you fish where there is a lot of current? If you do then you might prefer the 6 weight.

Oh heck, just get 'em both.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

I have a 5 wt. lined with a power taper line that I have found very versatile. I am primarily a warmwater fisherman so I have thrown big bass bugs yet I have taken it up north and laid dries down for trout in nearly non-existant casting lanes. Without defining the differences in shooting heads, power taper is kind of like a half size. The extra weight in the shooting line allows bigger flies to roll over. By the way, all of this is from personal experience rather than scientific evidence.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:41 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

well, just to stir the pot...it's become clear to me that all 5wts (or any weights) are not created equal.

For instance I have 3 5wts and each of them is VERY different from the others...and while I routinely toss pretty big bugs and hefty nymph rigs with the longer, faster Sage rods...my 8'6" Redington CT would buckle under the load. At the same time my CT is wonderful (IMO) for throwing dries.

So...my point (at last) would be that it's not "do I want a 5 or a 6?"...rather, it's which 5 or 6 will best deliver the flies I want to use.

...just a late nite thought...-Mike
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
well, just to stir the pot...it's become clear to me that all 5wts (or any weights) are not created equal.

For instance I have 3 5wts and each of them is VERY different from the others...and while I routinely toss pretty big bugs and hefty nymph rigs with the longer, faster Sage rods...my 8'6" Redington CT would buckle under the load. At the same time my CT is wonderful (IMO) for throwing dries.

So...my point (at last) would be that it's not "do I want a 5 or a 6?"...rather, it's which 5 or 6 will best deliver the flies I want to use.

...just a late nite thought...-Mike
My thoughts exactly, this also ties in with the previous comments about payload of the flies. As an example, I use a 590 Z Axis for my trout streamer fishing (6-12's but 8-12's mostly) and also use it for smallies. So the general size range is 6-20, there may be some exceptions though. It has the backbone to handle the larger flies and can scale down to the really small stuff. For me, it's a perfect rod for trout and smallies. I wouldn't dream of fishing it for something like steelhead, pike or muskie.

Aside from the payload of the flies you intend to throw with this new rod, you might want to mention the species of fish you intend to target. The flies thrown and other characteristics of the rod such as backbone, power, etc might help the experts advise you on which is more versatile for your specific application.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:54 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Mikel hit the nail on the head. ....That should make your choice more difficult. What fish are you targeting? Where are you going to fish? What size flies are you intending to use? .......First rod I would suggest a medium or medium fast rod. Length is also an important factor and seldom is taken into consideration. 7.5 to 8 foot is a good all around. 9' is good for open areas or out of a boat. In tight conditions or heavy canopy like on many small streams a shorter rod is preferable IMO. I use a 6' rod on the small creeks I fish.

This is 'part' of the reason some ffers have a large stable of rods.

For a first all purpose rod I would reccommend a medium action, 8', 5wt rod. For bass and light saltwater a 9' medium fast to fast action 7wt. For small stream and BG fishing a 3wt 7' medium action. A whole new world is about to open up for you.