The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM

rohnan is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing newbie could use some help please

Hey everyone great forum you all have here its an honor to be aboard. I have been lurking around for about a week now. I have soaked up alot of information and could use a bit of help.

First let me give you some basic information on myself and current fishing status. I live in Minnesota and mostly fish small lakes, large lakes rarely, ponds, and would like to stream fish for which there is a lack of CLOSE ones that seem productive that I know of. I grew up fishing only in the summer's with my dad in New Hampshire mostly bait fishing some lakes and beautiful streams catching pike, catfish, white perch, and native brook trout from the mountain streams.

This spring I just purchased a nice spinner reel set-up and lures and have never fished mn until now. I have been catching crappie, sunnies, bass, and northern sporadically. My dad who passed away five years ago used to fly fish. I feel drawn to fly fishing because I feel it is the pinnacle of fishing and envy everyone I see doing it. I have a birthday (my 30th) coming up in July. I am asking for fly fishing gear. Cost is a major concern.

I will be fishing for panfish, bass, northern, and walleye mostly. However I would love to try and hit some of the southeast trout streams I hear about and also northern ones when I get the very rare opportunity. 98% of my fishing will be without a water craft on small lakes and ponds, going for panfish, bass, and northern.

No to get to the point.... I am sorry if this is repetitive for you all.
I have done some research and want to know if I am on the right track.

1.Fly rod pick:
TFO NXT 9'-6wt- this seems to be highly recommended for a starter set-up that still performs well.
A. Do you all agree, and will this work for panfish, bass, and northern at a 6wt? (I realize there are better options for each species but I have a very tight budget and want something as universal as possible)
B. Is there a better all around set-up I should be looking at close to the former price point?

2. Flys: From my small amount of research I have determined sizes 12,14,16 seem to be the best sizes (this may be only for trout I am not sure, I would guess Northern and LM Bass may need larger?).
A. Best size for panfish?
B. Best size for bass?
C. Best size for northern?
Here is what I have found for best flys: Adams dry fly, Quill Garden wet fly, Gold-Ribbed Hares Ear nymph, Muddler Minnow streamer, and Woolie Bugger nymph(I think).
D. Are these good starting points for a fly set?
E. Am I missing the any must-haves for the species I have mentioned?

3. Waders(chest): Boy these get expensive is there one that comes contains the vital features needed for around $100? I have no water craft and fishing piers get crowded and don't see how fly fishing would be possible in that situation so I feel waders will be a must.

4. Nets: I need an inexpensive DURABLE hand net since I won't be able to lug around a 4'-6' net with waders on in the water. Any good recommendations?

5. Am I missing any other must have gear that I am unaware of? Please include specifics in the reasonable price yet reliable category.

I hope I posted this in the right area. I also tried to make this post as easy to read and address each question as possible. If this thread gets good information and options, dare I say this could be a very useful sticky link for other newbies to find out what they need with a reasonable price point, reliability, and maybe save those with experience from answering what I am sure become tiresome questions from new guys like me.

Thank you in advance for those who offer information and knowledge, sorry for the long read
Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly fishing newbie could use some help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohnan View Post
Hey everyone great forum you all have here its an honor to be aboard. I have been lurking around for about a week now. I have soaked up alot of information and could use a bit of help.

First let me give you some basic information on myself and current fishing status. I live in Minnesota and mostly fish small lakes, large lakes rarely, ponds, and would like to stream fish for which there is a lack of CLOSE ones that seem productive that I know of. I grew up fishing only in the summer's with my dad in New Hampshire mostly bait fishing some lakes and beautiful streams catching pike, catfish, white perch, and native brook trout from the mountain streams.

This spring I just purchased a nice spinner reel set-up and lures and have never fished mn until now. I have been catching crappie, sunnies, bass, and northern sporadically. My dad who passed away five years ago used to fly fish. I feel drawn to fly fishing because I feel it is the pinnacle of fishing and envy everyone I see doing it. I have a birthday (my 30th) coming up in July. I am asking for fly fishing gear. Cost is a major concern.

I will be fishing for panfish, bass, northern, and walleye mostly. However I would love to try and hit some of the southeast trout streams I hear about and also northern ones when I get the very rare opportunity. 98% of my fishing will be without a water craft on small lakes and ponds, going for panfish, bass, and northern.

No to get to the point.... I am sorry if this is repetitive for you all.
I have done some research and want to know if I am on the right track.
Panfish, bass, northern, walleye, trout. You've got a full plate for one rod.

Quote:
1.Fly rod pick:
TFO NXT 9'-6wt- this seems to be highly recommended for a starter set-up that still performs well.
It is a popular price pointed rig.

Quote:
A. Do you all agree, and will this work for panfish, bass, and northern at a 6wt? (I realize there are better options for each species but I have a very tight budget and want something as universal as possible)
Can you fish for all these species with this one rod? Yes, but you are limiting yourself. The rod will lack some of the power to throw larger bass and pike flies. It will lack some extra backbone to handle some lunker fish.

I would get an eight weight rig now and consider a smaller rig later.

Quote:
B. Is there a better all around set-up I should be looking at close to the former price point?
You could look at the Redington Pursuit rigs.

Quote:
2. Flys: From my small amount of research I have determined sizes 12,14,16 seem to be the best sizes (this may be only for trout I am not sure, I would guess Northern and LM Bass may need larger?).
Those sizes could work in some places, but you can go bigger or smaller.

Quote:
Maybe 6 to 10.

Quote:
B. Best size for bass?
4 to 2/0

Quote:
1 to 3/0

Quote:
Here is what I have found for best flys: Adams dry fly, Quill Garden wet fly, Gold-Ribbed Hares Ear nymph, Muddler Minnow streamer, and Woolie Bugger nymph(I think).
All good flies.

Quote:
Yep

Quote:
A great fly for LMB and Pike is Jeremy's Hedgehog. Big females seem to want to inhale it.

Quote:
3. Waders(chest): Boy these get expensive is there one that comes contains the vital features needed for around $100? I have no water craft and fishing piers get crowded and don't see how fly fishing would be possible in that situation so I feel waders will be a must.
I would be concerned about the longevity of any $100 set of waders.

Quote:
4. Nets: I need an inexpensive DURABLE hand net since I won't be able to lug around a 4'-6' net with waders on in the water. Any good recommendations?
Not really that necessary. If you must, get a $20 net from The Sports Authority.

Quote:
5. Am I missing any other must have gear that I am unaware of?
Yes, but I will let someone else answer this question.

If you need any mentoring, consider visiting a local fly shop or outfitter or maybe joining a fly fishing club.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 06-19-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: inserted a hyperlink
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

I use a pair of frog tog waders they were 60 bucks at gander and are tough as nails I gigg and fish with them all summer and are holding strong
Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

First welcome and you have come to the right place. Major talent on this site. Quite a tall order to fill. If it where me, I would first decide what fish and body(ies) of water I would fish. Then what flies and costs are associated with those flies, basically work backwards to the reel. The specifics become easier when I do it that way, as least for me. Good luck and good fishing!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Others are giving great answers to your questions. A couple things I'd add. I got my Simms wading boots on clearance from Cabelas. Not free by any means, but if you shop around and watch for items on sale you can save some cash.

Covering trout, bass, walleye, and pike with one rig could be tough, though a 6 could work to get going as long as you're not going for huge fish. Getting a 7 or 8wt for bass - pike and then a lighter rig if you want to go for pickier trout is another option. I have an Albright rod that I like a lot. It's their 7'6" 3/4wt. They've been having a sale, not sure if it's still on. There are other inexpensive options out there worth exploring, especially if you go the two rod route.

For fly sizes, link up with a fly shop or check fishing reports for the area and species your looking to catch. Pick up what you need and you'll build your fly collection a bit at a time.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM

rohnan is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys great suggestions I was afraid of the fact I would need two rods. Man this is a bit discouraging because it is all so specialized and EXPENSIVE . I am thinking I will prob be going for bass and northern more so maybe I should start with a heavier rig. I was really hoping a 5 or 6 would at least get me into panfish and bass. I was kind of thinking panfish like crappie and sunnies would be a great way to practice and catch fish steady to help with interest and a boredom fighter than go after big ones. What would be the typical weight limit for a 6wt rod?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I go by length, don't carry a scale. 20" fish for a 6wt.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Fly fishing newbie could use some help please

The fish species you are going after are difficult to say the least in terms of tackel choice. This is because Pike and Walleye can grow very large where you live and they have teeth so you enter a number of additional factors into the equation. I think because of you cold weather patterns Bass won't get to be really large unless they are the biggest fish in the lake. I'm sure that you have smallmouth bass in the rivers and streams as well. I really think you are under gunned with a 5 weight reel for and rod for what you are going after and probably need to go with a 7 weight min and a 8 weight max.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

The fish species you are going after are difficult to say the least in terms of tackel choice. This is because Pike and Walleye can grow very large where you live and they have teeth so you enter a number of additional factors into the equation. I think because of you cold weather patterns Bass won't get to be really large unless they are the biggest fish in the lake. I'm sure that you have smallmouth bass in the rivers and streams as well. I really think you are under gunned with a 5 weight reel for and rod for what you are going after and probably need to go with a 7 weight min and a 8 weight max.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 PM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road

I think you would be fine with a 6 weight rod for all of those fish. My first fly rod was a 6 weight and I've caught plenty of good sized striped bass with it some as big as 32"...
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM

chris_n is on a distinguished road

Quote:

1.Fly rod pick:

B. Best size for bass?

5. Am I missing any other must have gear that I am unaware of? Please include specifics in the reasonable price yet reliable category.

I hope I posted this in the right area. I also tried to make this post as easy to read and address each question as possible. If this thread gets good information and options, dare I say this could be a very useful sticky link for other newbies to find out what they need with a reasonable price point, reliability, and maybe save those with experience from answering what I am sure become tiresome questions from new guys like me.

Thank you in advance for those who offer information and knowledge, sorry for the long read
I will attempt to help you out, it is always good to see someone entering the fly fishing world with the right intentions and attitude.

1. I am a big TFO fan, they make great rods hands down so if it is within your budget to buy a rod from them than I would do that. I will also throw out the fact that i started with a Cabelas Three Fork combo when I was 12 and it was $75 bucks or somewhere close to that. So if you want to save even I would defiently check out some of Cabelas rod and reel combos, they are all pretty good. But if you are going to be a lifer in this sport I would go for a little better quality like TFO, it will last you forever and you should never have to upgrade.
I personally do not think you will need more then one rod for what you are fish a 6wt would work well for bass and musky, and just use a 6x/7x tippet for panfish. I have a 3wt rod and caught a 20" trout on it, it took me 15 minutes to play it without snapping my rod buy it is very possible to land some very large fish on a 6wt and be able to reel them in with confidence. The only reason most of us guys say you should have more then one rod is because we are trying to justify in our minds and to our wife's that it is necessary to own 6 rods, and I still think I need more . 6wt is super versatile and will get the job done.

2. Most panfish are going to bite into sizes 16-22, Bass and Musky can vary anywhere from 8-16 depending on the fly pattern, my top 5 must have patterns are The Adams, Hare's Ear, Bugger, Stimulator, and Green/Yellow Soft Hackle wet fly. Orvis has a great deal some starter packs for trout and I am sure there are some guys that tie flies in your area and sell on the classifieds, hit them up, they typically give you a great deal. A guy in my area will sell you an assortment of 100 flies for $60 bucks.

3. Waders, IMO Cabelas is going to be your best bet for a decent pair with boots for a good low price. The only waders i use are from Patagonia but two of my buddies love their Cabelas waders and if they tear you can take them back and Cabelas will replace them.

4. Net, Amazon sells a net with a rubber bag ( better to protect the slim coating on the fish) by Frabill for like 25 bucks, it is a decent net for the price.
Deluxe Wood Tear Drop Trout Landing Nets: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors Deluxe Wood Tear Drop Trout Landing Nets: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

5. There will always be little things here and there that you will acquire along the way but you will need to buy some polarized sunglasses, 3 spools of tippet material in sizes 4x( for the bass and musky), 5x ( medium to larger trout), 6x ( for the pan fish). Also some floatant ( Gink's makes a good floatant), nail clippers to cut tippet, and finally some forceps and you should be ready to rock and roll.

Welcome to greatest chapter in your life.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird630 View Post

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

FYI the large mouth bass fishing in Minnesota is to say the least EPIC..... Don't let the weather fool you but they have some big large mouth bass up there but you are most certainly right about the Pike and walleye.