The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Didgeridoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM

ehragsdale is on a distinguished road
Default Future Guide

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on becoming a guide. I am an avid fly fisher and want to take my fishing to the next level. I would love to spend a few years guiding once I'm done with school.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Future Guide

My son briefly considered guide school. Everyone he talked to who was/had been in the buisness told him not to....

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 PM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

Get a job at a guide camp as deck hand.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Here is what I did, but bear in mind I was retired and had a military pension to fall back on.

Move to the area you want to fish/guide.

Get a job at a fly shop that also has a guide service.

Fish every chance you get.

Within a year, you should get an offer to guide.

Once you have a year's experience guiding, moving and getting another job guiding is a piece of cake.

Chris
Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I also recommend looking in to "dude" ranches scattered across the west. These ranches are mainly set up for horse riding, but most offer fly fishing as an option.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I have an open invite to my non fly fishing friends to take them out and teach them basic flyfishing and try to get them on fish in the holes I usaully fish.. guide school?? theres such a thing???
Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
Get a job at a fly shop that also has a guide service.
Good information.

Keep in mind that fly shops do guide services in two ways.
1. It can have an outfitter's license that allows it to have a bunch of guides underneath its umbrella.
2. It can use independent guides. These guides have their own business licenses, guiding licenses, and insurance bonds. Here in California, most shops use this business model.

If you are going to try guiding for a shop, try to work for a shop with an outfitter's license. There will be less overhead on your part.

Dennis
Old 06-20-2012, 03:25 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
I have an open invite to my non fly fishing friends to take them out and teach them basic flyfishing and try to get them on fish in the holes I usaully fish.. guide school?? theres such a thing???
Yes, there are. my son googled up two or three right here in the NW. These were mainly big game hunting guide schools that featured pack in/out hunts.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

The best training you could do is pretend to be a guide for friends.

Take them out, tell them where to cast, make them a shore lunch (cook or bring a cooler with food), and most importantly DON'T FISH! As soon as you have a rod in your hands, you're no longer going to be focusing on your "client".

Keep in mind that being a guide is like being a "coach". You're no longer a player. You are coaching them to catch fish and if the day is such that the fish aren't cooperating, you're now the entertainment too. Try and teach them something new like a new technique, new casting stroke, critique their cast, etc. This way, even if they don't end up catching a fish, they come out with something.

Every client is completely different too. You're going to get newbies that need full attention, you'll get the "know-it-alls" that think they're the greatest thing on earth, you'll get the humble ones who don't care about catching fish, you'll get the "know-it-alls" that don't know much, and you'll get the really good anglers who might be better than you are in one way or another. It's part of what keeps it interesting!

Lastly, you don't know your client's situation. They're paying you good money, so make it worth their while. Go above and WAY beyond! They could have saved for a couple years to come fish your area. You don't know so make it worth their while. If you go out and are constantly looking at the clock and don't want to be out there, they're going to pick up on that and make their experience not what it should be. If you don't get home in time to watch your sitcom, boo-hoo, you made someone's day!...and you should probably get PVR/TiVo if you're that concerned about missing an episode. lol

Guiding is a fantastic time, but it's definitely not for everyone. Best advice, hire a guide for the day and see what it's all about. Ask them a million questions. Doing this is WAY cheaper and WAY more effective than going to "guide school".

Nick

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehragsdale View Post
I am an avid fly fisher and want to take my fishing to the next level. I would love to spend a few years guiding once I'm done with school.
To answer this more directly, it won't necessarily help your fly fishing skills but it will help your teaching skills. You will however pick up a lot of tips and skills from your clients. Remember, being a guide is like being a "coach". You're no longer playing on the field as a player.
theboz likes this.