The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 08:02 PM

skey000 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie to fly fishing

I'm new to fly fishing and was looking for a forum to ask some questions as they arose. Y'all seem like a pretty knowledgable bunch so I was hoping to hit you with my ton of questions.

I've used regular spincast reels for years and have been wanting to learn fly fishing for quite a while now.

Hopefully my questions won't be to out there and annoying.

My first one is a personal one that I'm hoping will justify my desire to try out fly fishing.

1. Why do you choose fly fishing over other forms that are considered easier to learn (spin and bait casting)? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Thanks,
Jeremy

P.S. More to come
Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbie to fly fishing

There will be members far more knowledgeable than I that will answer this better than I can, but speaking for myself as a former spin fisherman that held a local record for Northern Pike, what turned me was the sight of a rainbow in crystal clear water rising and hitting a dry fly I had cast. Can't cast a dry fly in any reasonable manner with a spin rod, so that was my conversion! Plus, trout fly-fishing venues are a hell of a lot more scenic than the reservoirs I used to frequent as a spin caster.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I just prefer to fish the long rod, I started in the 60's and it became a obsession..I like the tying part also. I can match the natural food of the fish.I fly fish all kinds of water and species. there's only a few freshwater and salt I havn't caught as of yet..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-22-2007, 10:25 AM

fishfinder is on a distinguished road

Well do I eney you Jeremy. Here you are at age 30 and already making the switch from gear to fly fishing. Well I also decided to give it a try myself this year. The only diffe.rence is I am 69. So far I have fished for and caught rainbows, sea run cutthroat and my biggest thrill to date chum salmon.

On top of this caught that first salmon on fly I tied myself. My only regret is I waited so long to find my way to the fly shop.

Mike
Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Great question. For me, it's not just one thing (or even two) but there are aspects of fly fishing that tie my interest and love of nature together in a way that bait fishing never did. It started out pretty simple.

1. I had already caught a lot of fish as a gear fisherman
2. I had always wanted to learn to fly fish
3. I really don't enjoy reservoir fishing from a boat and prefer the stream/river environment for a lot of reasons. Fly fishing techniques tend to be more productive and practical in a stream fishing scenario.

I still prefer fly fishing for all those reasons but they really don't explain the absolute love and obsession. I'm not sure I am able to explain it really. Perhaps it has something to do with how the process of learning to fly fish is teaching me so much more about fish, fish habitat, and entemology that I feel more of a bond to the places I fish and the wildlife that inhabits. them. Add tying flies to the mix and there is that additional satisfaction of creating the offering that I never experienced fishing other methods.

It is important for me to say that I am not implying that all these lessons and connections cannot be had via other fishing methods. It's just that they never clicked for me that way.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:18 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

I too just this year picked up on fly fishing. I'm 34, so I'm also lucky according to FishFinder to have made the change at an early age. I agree with Zero Limit in the fact that learning to fly fish forces you to learn more about fish and their environment. You need to know what they are feeding on, and what times of day they feed. I never had a lot of luck with the bait and wait, or spincasting artificials with a spin rod. I have however had a decent amount of luck with Fly Fishing.

I guess what drew me to want to learn to fly fish is seeing people do it. They just "look" like they are enjoying what they are doing and where they are. I also prefer river or stream fishing as opposed to lake or pond. Also the challenge of learning something new intrigued me. I have to be honest though, since I started fly fishing, I have only used my spinning equipment once. I nearly guarantee that once you start... you'll be hooked!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be honest, I still use my spinning rods and tackle quite a bit, it depends on what I'm after and the time to do it.
I enjoy fishing with jigs, topwater baits, spinner baits, and occasionally a pine grub or two.

But my favorite will always be a dry fly, watching a fish come from the depths to eat it, even the refusal is enough at times, it all comes down to the adrenalin rush that we get at that very last second.

Fishing in general is a gift, if you enjoy it, then do it.
If you catch and cook, eat what you harvest and always leave a few for next time.

Not sure I chose Flyfishing as much as it chose me, and to that end I will always be blessed.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM

hatefire is on a distinguished road

I have been fly fishing for 2 years now. I still spin fish when i'm with my spin friends, and I still baitcast when fishing with my bass friends, but I love the solitude of a hike into the backcounty and fly fishing a quiet section of a remote stream. since I've been a "hiker" for many a year it just seemed natural to combine the two, now I've joined some guys from the department and every year we go to the Sierras and put on our waders and hike down stream and fish all day. recently I started tying my own flies, and this year i will attempt ocean fly fishing in Hawaii, so try it, if you don't like it, give me a call, Im always looking for more equipment.