The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 02:23 PM

emailmm100 is on a distinguished road
Default Is there are "middle ground" fly rod and reel that can bridge fresh to salt water

I am new to fly fishing but after one outing I am "hooked". Limited budget is pressing me to see if I can use one rod and reel to accomplish both fresh water and salt. Granted I understand that I would have to change lines and bait flies.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:36 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there are "middle ground" fly rod and reel that can bridge fresh to salt water

Depends on what you'll be fishing for in both bodies of water, but I use the Allen Xa series rods in both freshwater and saltwater, and the same goes for both their Trout and Alpha II reels. The price is very acceptable, their customer service and warranty are both great, and the owner of the company, Justin, typically gives great rates to forum members.

Welcome to the forum, and put a few hints on what you'll be targeting and I'll get back to you with a more focused answer, but depending on your preferences (flex/action of the rod) and what you'll be fishing for, I don't think you'll have any problem finding a rod you like at a price you like from Allen. Similar offerings can also be found from TFO (a lot of people like the BVK series for both salt and fresh) and Rise. Though I have less experience with both those companies, you'll hear similar shining reviews for TFO on this forum as you will for Allen.

Again, welcome to the forum, and the addiction! While it may seem "expensive" at first (I'm a broke grad student so I understand), once you're in, it will end up likely being cheaper than conventional gear in the long run.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there are "middle ground" fly rod and reel that can bridge fresh to salt water

I use the same 8wts in the salt that I use for bass fishing
Same lines too
Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I use my 2 8wts and there reels in both fresh and salt water, but use different lines.

Rick

P.S. Welcome to this forum!

Last edited by oarfish; 06-20-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Same lines too
I use the same 8 and 9 wts in both salt and fresh . Just make sure I clean them well after each use.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

Heck, I even fish my 7 wt. in both salt and freshwater. Just make sure to clean all of your stuff VERY well including your hooks. As far as reels go some are better than others. I've never heard of the Allen reels, I have a Lamson Konic that has a sealed drag that treats saltwater like soft water. The drag is also strong enough to play the fish from the reel to take some pressure off of the rod.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I just bought a 7 Wt BVK that I'll use for bass, reds and specks in TX, and very big trout streamers (hopefully, low waters this year in CO) this summer. Paired it with a Ross CLA 4... Would even use this rod in LA where the reds are bigger

If you wanted one a little more versatile for trout and are going after smaller salt species/bass, I'd go with a 6 wt with fighting butt and saltwater safe reel seat. The BVK 6 is stiff enough to throw pretty good sized streamers.

If I did that I'd downsize to the CLA 3, or go with similar size in a Lamson Guru or comparable salty-safe reel. I just like Ross as a company and think their reels are awesome.

Got the rod/reel new online for 390 shipped, no tax. Retail would have been well over $500 with tax. Check these forums and watch eBay once you know what you want. Cast a lot of rods in your price range too before you make up your mind!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I have a 7wt Colton rod that I have overlined to an 8wt. It has lots of backbone and will cast into a good breeze. It would be good for bass and other larger fresh water fish. I bought it for the salt. I use a Pfleuger 1598 reel on it but I do rinse it good after use in the salt. One of these days I will probably buy a high dollar reel for the salt but as yet I have had no need. If you find some pics of the old time salties you will find that many used the Pflueger 1400 series reels and they were catching sizeable fish. ....This is not a bluegill rod. ....I have a 5wt rod that I have tried in the salt at least 4 times with no success. I would love to hook up with some trout and ladyfish with it but I just have not been able to get hooked up. As soon as I switch to the 7wt I start getting hook-ups. Others mileage may vary.