The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 PM

jeed is on a distinguished road
Default New and inquisitive!

hey folks, i'm john, and i'm an insufferable outdoorsman.

growing up a coastal boy on long island sound, i spent many a summer strapping my 13' shakespeare salt rig to my bike and chasing the tides across the city, following the bluefish, bunker, and the occasional black bass from port to port with my friends.

as i got older, i got tired of the single bait cast followed by a fresh cheap beer (hey, we were teenagers) and a few newports to last us the morning as we shot the breeze on our few days off from the college jobs. so fishing gave way to hiking and camping. now five years later, i have an somewhat good job, an equally outdoorsy fiance, and the water calls to me once more. can anyone hear that primus bassline yet?

i'm no green angler; i've thrown enough spinners, cranks, and enough cut bait in my day to last a lifetime, and have had WAY too many over-filled tackle boxes. but one day, i was out at the local sea wall enjoying the breeze when i saw this poor sob perched out on a rock with his kyack ancored close to it, swinging this massive flyrod, cracking his orange line out like he was thor calling down the thunder. it was so elegant i sped home and commenced researching this new found hobby.

i've geared out my kit enough to suit my backpacking needs as well as my fishing essentials (god i love fishpond), and armed myself with a fine 9'6" 6wt z-axis. the only snag i've hit is waders!

i'm big on minimalism, you wouldnt expect that looking at my fishpond wildhorse, but i can fit alot in that pack and still have it be light. but with waders, i'm torn. while connecticut doesnt have alot of chest wading rivers, i like to be prepared. cabelas sells convertible waders, are they any good, or should i just bite the bullet and get full chest waders?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: New and inquisitive!

I have convertibles from Orvis and they have 2 seasons on them with no issues. Comfortable and work well waist hi or chest hi...I think any of the good convertibles are probably just as good, although the Orvis warrantee is excellent.

I had the same question and just couldn't find a reason not to go with the more versatile choice.

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/pr...8SFsage_lg.jpg

-Mike

nice opening post
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I wish I had that fly rod when I started.

Love the description of the fly fisherman. I remember watching my grandpa cast a fly rod and the fascination is what got me started also.

Good luck. This is an awesome sport and there are many people on this forum to answer any questions you will need.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 PM

i learned very early that it doesnt pay to deal with cheap gear. my old shakespeare spinmaster was a 40 dollar walmart special, and i spent years toiling with the poor excuse for a reel until i saved up for a nice shimano that cranked till i killed it. i still have the rod, i might ressurrect it someday.

i promised myself that this time around, i wouldnt skimp or cut corners. that z-axis is rigged with a lamson radius 2.5 full of enough of my favorite lime green braided fourocarb backing to give the rio gold a steady foundation. its not top of the line, but hell, neither am i.

i had been looking at the orvis set, but the wife hates it when i go in there, i take one look at the fly bins and my wallet suddenly gets thinner. i'll have to sneak in a trip and get a better look..

its a view i wont soon forget. i can still see him out there soaked to the bone in the evening foam in his yuppie marthas vineyard t shirt, blue shorts and tivas maniacally stripping line into his basket like he was worried the fish hadnt realized it'd been hooked and was swimming right to the rock.. then with a t and double spey, the line cracked as it broke the sound barrier and he was at it again. i almost felt bad for him, if he was from our side of town, he would have know that it being low tide, all the bluefish were about a mile out staying away from the boaters until the tide came in.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

That's a very good point you have. Now that I'm older and can actually afford the nice fly gear I regret being cheap with some of my gear. I was never cheap with my rods, reels and line but things like my vest and boxes I really want to replace.

Oh well. The local guides need to pay for there beer somehow and I help them a little everytime I'm in the shop replacing my gear slowly.

Just think. Now you get to be that same guy, just with a little more local knowledge.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 AM

Location: Afghanistan/North Central Florida/AC, Belize for 2 mo/yr
fishindave is on a distinguished road

Welcome JEED, Look forward to more of you stories. (I like your writing style)

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishindave View Post
Welcome JEED, Look forward to more of you stories. (I like your writing style)
glad to be here, have to flex the creative writing skills somewhere
Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum. I second Mikel, I have Orvis waders and have used them for 8 seasons, salt and fresh, no problems. If you did, they would takes care of it asap. Good luck on this new adventure.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum JEED! Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures.

Larry
Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I have the Simms convertibles and love them. I have only used them as chest waders once. The rest of the time I wear them as waist highs. The nice thing with the convertibles in small water is that I just use the suspenders and don't cinch the belt which keeps me a bit cooler than traditional waist highs with a belt cinched tight.

Also, welcome and I'm glad watching the guy got you interested. But a word of caution, don't try to copy him cracking the sound barrier with his casts. That snapping sound is from starting the forward cast before your back cast is complete. You will snap the tippet and lose your fly.