The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default What flies for Eastern Europe trout fishing?

I going to Hungary to visit my brother - who lives there - this summer. We will be trout fishing for three days in Slovenia. He has booked a guide for one day and though Slovenia is a fly fishing destination for Europeans, my brother said there is nowhere to buy flies there.

No problem, I love to tie flies.

Problem, I have very little idea what to tie! I told him to ask the guide that is taking us fishing what the bugs are and what flies, he sent an image with an assortment of basic nymphs, a couple tent-wing style caddis, and some small CDC puffs on little hooks!

I've found enough to know that the mayfly hatches are the same and there are good looking stoneflies there too. I just have no idea when, of course. I do know that the sedge hatches in mid-summer are the big deal there, is there anyone that has fished over there and experienced it? I'd love to get my hands on some sort of hatch chart but haven't been able to google one up.

Ultimately, I'm not worried about it; I'll arm my boxes with caddis, ants, beetles, generalist nymphs and small mayflies. But if anyone has any clues, I would be much grateful.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM

chris_n is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What flies for Eastern Europe trout fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I going to Hungary to visit my brother - who lives there - this summer. We will be trout fishing for three days in Slovenia. He has booked a guide for one day and though Slovenia is a fly fishing destination for Europeans, my brother said there is nowhere to buy flies there.

No problem, I love to tie flies.

Problem, I have very little idea what to tie! I told him to ask the guide that is taking us fishing what the bugs are and what flies, he sent an image with an assortment of basic nymphs, a couple tent-wing style caddis, and some small CDC puffs on little hooks!

I've found enough to know that the mayfly hatches are the same and there are good looking stoneflies there too. I just have no idea when, of course. I do know that the sedge hatches in mid-summer are the big deal there, is there anyone that has fished over there and experienced it? I'd love to get my hands on some sort of hatch chart but haven't been able to google one up.

Ultimately, I'm not worried about it; I'll arm my boxes with caddis, ants, beetles, generalist nymphs and small mayflies. But if anyone has any clues, I would be much grateful.

Thanks!

Ahhhh yes this is right up my alley Dean, I grew up fly fishing all over Europe, what waters in Hungary are you going to fish ? I suggest going to the River Danube or Duna you are going to want to fish the Lower Basin of the river just south of the city Kalocsa because everything other part of the river flows way to fast.

As far as flies go here is what I suggest:

Nymphs: Dark Hares Ears Sizes #12 and #14, Pheasant Tail Same Sizes, also they have a ton of stone flies both golden and very dark so ties up some nymphs in those colors and patter

Dries: Sally's #12,#14,#16, Light colors mayflies similar to a PMD but in large sizes like #8,#10,#12

You must and I mean must also go to the Tisza River. That river has the biggest frickn Mayfly I have ever seen they call it the Tisza's Palingenia longicauda and it is Europe largest mayfly and they are like 5 inches long from tall to head. What I did was tie a huge PMD pattern on a #6 Hook and that got the trick done.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_n View Post
Ahhhh yes this is right up my alley Dean, I grew up fly fishing all over Europe, what waters in Hungary are you going to fish ? I suggest going to the River Danube or Duna you are going to want to fish the Lower Basin of the river just south of the city Kalocsa because everything other part of the river flows way to fast.

As far as flies go here is what I suggest:

Nymphs: Dark Hares Ears Sizes #12 and #14, Pheasant Tail Same Sizes, also they have a ton of stone flies both golden and very dark so ties up some nymphs in those colors and patter

Dries: Sally's #12,#14,#16, Light colors mayflies similar to a PMD but in large sizes like #8,#10,#12

You must and I mean must also go to the Tisza River. That river has the biggest frickn Mayfly I have ever seen they call it the Tisza's Palingenia longicauda and it is Europe largest mayfly and they are like 5 inches long from tall to head. What I did was tie a huge PMD pattern on a #6 Hook and that got the trick done.
Chris, thank you for responding, I am really glad I finally found someone with experience in E Europe. BUT we are NOT fishing in Hungary though Budapest is where my brother lives. We are going to Slovenia to fish the freestone and spring creeks in the Soca Valley. I did find a great website on Slovenia fly fishing and it actually has a forum that looks just like ours here, except of course I can't read a thing! I did some pictures of that huge light mayfly, very impressive. What time of the year does it hatch though?

Did you grow up in Europe?

I'll send you a PM to pick your brain a little more!

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to amble on down to Grizzly Hackle, they just aired a two part TV show from the Balkans. Another good source would be Madjoni on this forum, tyer and guide from nearby Montenegro. milt.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:43 PM

chris_n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chris, thank you for responding, I am really glad I finally found someone with experience in E Europe. BUT we are NOT fishing in Hungary though Budapest is where my brother lives. We are going to Slovenia to fish the freestone and spring creeks in the Soca Valley. I did find a great website on Slovenia fly fishing and it actually has a forum that looks just like ours here, except of course I can't read a thing! I did some pictures of that huge light mayfly, very impressive. What time of the year does it hatch though?

Did you grow up in Europe?

I'll send you a PM to pick your brain a little more!

Thanks!
The Tisza mayfly hatch is going on right now and ends somewhere around the end of June so you may have just missed it but it is incredible. Slovenia in my opinion has some of the best fly fishing in Europe. The Soca valley is amazing and the water is crystal clear it is ridiculous. You have to fish the Bača, it is by far the best in the valley and if you are lucky you might catch a Marble Trout, they are beautiful. The best part about the Bača is that it is almost purely dry flies it doesn't have very many deep holes so fill up on some, Adams #12-#16 and Humphy's in the same sizes. Also I used simulators and those seemed to work the best. There are also these really dark winged caddis flies, all I did was tie up an elk hair caddis with dark elk or deer fur and that did the trick. These flies will work all over the Soca valley. Same nymphs that I mentioned above will work too.

Another killer place on the Soca is in Trenta Valley but they only issue about 1,000 permits per year but if you can snag one then get ready for fly fishing bliss. The clarity of the water is going to blow your mind, there is nothing better than being able to see a fish swim and rise to your fly. I am so jealous but excited for you, you must take pictures and report back on your trip.

And yes I lived in Europe for a few years, I miss it.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
You might want to amble on down to Grizzly Hackle, they just aired a two part TV show from the Balkans. Another good source would be Madjoni on this forum, tyer and guide from nearby Montenegro. milt.
Thanks Milt, interesting about the Griz Hackle, I will definitely head over there. I will be picking Madjoni's brain for sure, I was hoping to meet him but it's a little too far.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Milt,try to contact Mladen(Madjoni) he should help you...some of my friends fished in Slovenia it looks like rivers are beautiful,accomodation is cheap,fishing licenses expensive...lots of stocked fish(...some like that others don't)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_n View Post

Another killer place on the Soca is in Trenta Valley but they only issue about 1,000 permits per year but if you can snag one then get ready for fly fishing bliss. The clarity of the water is going to blow your mind, there is nothing better than being able to see a fish swim and rise to your fly. I am so jealous but excited for you, you must take pictures and report back on your trip.

And yes I lived in Europe for a few years, I miss it.
Thanks again Chris, very helpful! I have finding a some really great stuff on the web, the pictures of the country and the water is amazing for sure. I am getting really excited.

I will taking a lot of photos, don't worry about that!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Milt, interesting about the Griz Hackle, I will definitely head over there. I will be picking Madjoni's brain for sure, I was hoping to meet him but it's a little too far.
They do that show Wild on the Fly out of that shop, Outdoor Channel I think, good show. milt.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Quote:
I did find a great website on Slovenia fly fishing
Hey everyone - share those links (if you don't mind) !

dean_mt, is this the site? Muharjenje v Sloveniji - Flyfishing in Slovenia: News
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach