The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 02:41 PM

iluv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: caught my first 20+ inch brookie

the fish didnt go to waste. it made yummy table fare. Its not like he was the last one in there anyway. i have seen bigger caught and released.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Last week I caught a 33" rainbow and released it immediately. Of course I had plenty of Socks to eat in Alaska!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 PM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fish View Post
caught it today on my local waters.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...69779292_n.jpg
Nice Brookie and Salmon where were you fishing I fish in Maine alot too???
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Here in my part of PA a 15" Brookie is a rare ond wonderful thing. I am envious! Congrats!!!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: caught my first 20+ inch brookie

I have no problem with someone harvesting a big brookie like that.
Their lifespan is only so long and a fish that size is old.
Harvesting it is making good used of a fish that may soon die anyway.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have no problem with someone harvesting a big brookie like that.
If it's legal I'm ok with it. If not, it's poaching. Pretty simple. If the species is in trouble, then the knotheads that write the rules should protect them with the regs...seems to me...
Old 07-13-2012, 06:15 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

The knotheads write fishing regulations to maximize tourist dollars. The fish population and health has little or nothing to do with it.
chi flyfisher and iluv2fish like this.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
The knotheads write fishing regulations to maximize tourist dollars. The fish population and health has little or nothing to do with it.
Well, tourist dollars and lots of other reasons, like big agriculture dollars and on and on...I DID say "should".

Now we have a poster who will think twice about posting again because he caught a fish and legally took it and had to listen to all of this.

Last edited by mikel; 07-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think we're OK here, a fisherman always has the option of taking fish where the regulations allow for it. Although I don't take trout or char regularly sometimes one hangs itself on one of my salmon flies and gets hurt. When that happens I kill the fish and take them home. When reading this thread I realize that where this member is located, if you do not eat a brook trout or land locked salmon then you'll eat no wild fish. If I lived in Maine I'd probably be eating some land locks

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM

iluv2fish is on a distinguished road

no hurt feeling here. i release 99% of what i catch. i kept this one cause my wife wanted to try a big trout. Hopefully i will have some more pics to post after next week. heading back up north for 3 days camping and fishing with my best bud/wife. should be lots of fun.