The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: caught my first 20+ inch brookie

Mike,

I know you did say "should'. But I had to get my licks in on the fishing regulators. I don't agree with many of the regulations, nor to stocking remote areas with inferior fish because of poor fisheries management, or just because the fisheries department decides to try out some new hybrid heretofore unknown on the planet.

Hardly ever do I hear of slot limits on freshwater fish, yet it is a well tested and proven method of improving salt water stocks that are not commercially fished. Snook and redfish in Florida are a great example of the success of this type of regulation.

I used to fish a relatively remote brook trout lake in Maine which had a one fish/day/angler limit with a minimum "keeper" size of 18". I think this is bad management, and a slot limit for "keepers" of 14 to 15 inches or something like that would help promote the pig gene in that area instead of eliminating it.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I used to fish a relatively remote brook trout lake in Maine which had a one fish/day/angler limit with a minimum "keeper" size of 18". I think this is bad management, and a slot limit for "keepers" of 14 to 15 inches or something like that would help promote the pig gene in that area instead of eliminating it.
I have to disagree with this.
The "keeper" of 18" is old and nearing the end of it's life cycle. It's probably beyond prime breeding age and may not even be producing viable eggs.
Your "slot limit" size fish of 14" and 15" are prime breeders and should be treated as such. It would be a benefit to the pond's trout population to get the old hens out of their way.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Great Catch.... I dont fish for Brookies often anymore, but they are fun to catch.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough

What is this feeling...Could it...Envy??

Yup, it is.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:18 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Rip,

I don't think your read the meaning in that post. Here are the words again:

Quote:
a slot limit for "keepers" of 14 to 15 inches or something like that
I'm not a biologist but it is clear to me that genetics play a role in size. If brook trout quit breeding at 14 15/16th", in a certain watershead, then make the slot lower I don't care exactly where the slot is so long as it works for the area where it applies.

Imagine if there were a bounty on all humans over 6'4" and all were killed off by the new world order because they eat too much, require tall ceilings and tall doors making houses too big, cars too big, chairs too big and are baiscally using too many resources etc. Don't you think that after a bunch of generations that the "grow big" gene would eventually be toned down to 6'3" ? And then the bounty would have to be lowered. So, far into the distant future, man could find himself in deadly combat with mice.

Here is text from this website, where it appears that someone is starting to listen a little bit to some fishermen and lodge owners.

But I don't think the restriction goes far enough, and that a slot limit should be a slot limit - no fish killed above or below that slot until the slot changes.

Well, I lost the website quoted below, but here's another where slot limits have been set - though no details are spelled out.

Native Brook Trout Fishing | Maine Brook Trout Allagash

Quote:
The Maine Inland Fisheries and Game have been responsible for the management of this fishery for decades and have responded well to suggestions made by the public. Prior to regulation changes implemented in the last fifteen years, trout numbers suffered from a liberal bag limit and too general angling methods. Current regulations specify artificial lures (flies included) a limit of two fish (at least 12 inches long) but only one may be over 14 inches. This slot length is designed to limit the taking of mature fish therefore preserving the gene pool of fish that are capable of reaching a large size.
So at least they are trying it in baby steps. The best law in Maine is the closing of brooks to all fishing before the brook trout spawn begins.

In Florida the slot limits I'm familiar with are on Redfish, Snook and Sea Trout. There is only one specific size range where those fish may be killed None above or below that slot. Many species which are simply closed to recreational fishing, will most likely have slot limits when re-opened. The comeback of snook, trout and reds has been spectacular - though the freeze of a couple years ago killed millions of snook.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter what you want to make the slot limit
My point was that brook trout, and I'm talking specifically about brook trout, will only live so long and grow so large.
Wild brook trout here in southern New England will not survive into a 4th year. They die.
The state trout hatchery I worked at culled out broodstock brook trout at 16" as they were no longer good breeders
Protecting over sized brook trout does nothing to help the fishery.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Rip,

So in other words, a nine pound brook trout would not reach 18 inches before it spawned on its third birthday, assuming it could still spawn, and would die before its fourth?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:31 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Taking an occassional Fish seems to be a very contensious issue with some people,the only reasons I will take Fish is if they hooked deep & are Bleeding bad or I want one to eat as I return nearly all my Fish I catch.
I often see people Fishing with Light Rods Targeting & catching Large Fish,for what they call Sport as most of them return their Fish,I mention to them I'd rather use a better suited Rod to well handle The Fish I Hook so it doesn't take as long to Land,resusitate The Fish if needed,before returning it,as we all know The Build up of Lactic Acid from a huge fight can be Fatal.
Again some people Kill everything they catch which I'm against even though The Lake I mainly Fish has a 2 Fish limit,I'm always remarking to them it doesn't hurt to return some Fish,after all how many can they eat,some say they give them all away as they don't eat Trout ???
One friend made a comment about all the Large Browns should be taken from our local Lake,however I disagree as all the Fish are in good condition & the size balance of the Rainbows & Browns seems OK.
Brian.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM

No that's not what i said
I said that any wild brook trout in the area where I live would not live until it's fourth birthday.... It was an example of their mortality rate.
I also said that brook trout larger than 16"... an estimated size based on what happens in the largest trout hatchery in the eastern USA .... would not be relied upon to produce eggs.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Fish do have a maximum life span, however growth rates are dependent primarily on the productivity of their habitat, although genetics play a part.
I suspect growth rates in Maine are awfully low because of the geology of the area and also because of the affects of acid rain.

By the way, I caught 2, 19" brookies and a 15" a couple of weeks ago and turned all 3 loose. I also caught some smaller 12-13" brookies which I also turned loose. Yesterday I caught two 16.5" and a 15" brookie as well as a few between 12 and 13" in this same lake. I turned all of them loose.

On neither day did I encounter another human being on this lake.
Besides excellent growth rates, this is the main reason their are large brookies in this lake. I leave nothing but footprints and I rarely even take pictures. I release all fish without taking them out of the water. I know another lake that is rarely fished and seems to have nothing but 6" brookies. I know of another small lake that has primarily 8-9" brookies and an occasional big headed 12" fish and is fished quite hard and the fish are usually kept.

When you begin trying to manipulate nature, politics, public opinion and the business of fishing warp everything out of shape. When will we learn to stop trying to make a business or an ego trip out of sport? Isn't there something left that we can do just for pure enjoyment? Try this just once: next time you catch a big fish, don't tell anyone you did!

WJC:
I am curious. When was the slot length limit set on those salt water fish in Florida?

Last edited by FlyFlinger2421; 07-20-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add something