The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 07:16 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flyfishing Montana!

Let me clarify. The Ruby river runs North past Twin Bridges and emptys into the Beaverhead. The Ruby river south of Twin Bridges below the resvoir is smaller and wadable. You can float the Ruby farther north of the dam, but I am most familiar with the river below the dam. If floating is your choice, I would head over the pass to Ennis and try to get on the upper Madison. The Ruby is one of my favorites and I have come away with browns in the upper teens low 20's.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

So it sounds like you can wade the Ruby south of the dam as long as you don't try to exit on private land? I prefer wading, actually, but I guess that means that you'd have to find public access and exit points along the Ruby.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:38 PM

I have never fished south of Alder, but if you don't mind a 1/2 hour drive. Coy Brown bridge between Alder and the reservoir is a good access point. Fish up river as far as you want. Just be warned that you will not only have to backtrack back to your vehicle, you will have to cross one or two electric fences strung across the river by land owners who want to "keep their cows in". Also try to access the river right below the reservoir and work your way down. I have caught the bigger fish going up river from Coy Brown. You can also go south west to Dillon and try Poindexter Slough. I usually fish this in the winter only and I can honestly say I have had 30+ fish days using nymphs. No fish story here, you get the right patern and you get a fish every other cast.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:46 PM

What month are you coming?
Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Wow! Crossing electric fences in the middle of the river! How do you do that without getting electrocuted or getting leaks in your waders! I've never fished Montana before (was hoping to do so next fall), but I've heard that public water access is getting more and more difficult up there, what with West Coast (read Hollywood) money buying up all the great fly-fishing access trying to live the life shown in A River Runs Through It. My fly-fishing up in that great area of the country is limited to Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons/Yellowstone, where much of the water access is public park land. Maybe I didn't realize how good I had it there . . . .
Old 12-26-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisher77 View Post
What month are you coming?
Chris, was sort of thinking the first full week after Labor Day, hoping the crowds would be down yet the weather still okay (I'm a dry-fly fisherman, mostly, and I've heard that this is a good dry-fly time up in Wyoming-Montana).

Neil
Old 12-26-2007, 07:59 PM

First I must appalogize for thinking you were the person to start this thread. Truth be known, that movie, A River Runs Through It, happened to be the worse thing to happen to this state. The access is getting tighter, but with our stream access law, they really cannot touch you. I try to hit the salmon fly hatch on the Firehole every year. I like to watch the cookie cutter fisherman on that river most of all. It is almost like they give a shopping list to the fly fisherman entering the park. They all seem to wear and fish the same equipment. The Ruby and Poindexter Slough seem to be the only rivers I really have trouble with out of state land owners. The rest of the waterways are easily accessed and nobody bugs you. I live 5 minutes from Hauser dam that has a fantastic rainbow spawn staring in March. Biggest I caught last year was 27 inches 8 pounds. I love the fight!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Chris, was sort of thinking the first full week after Labor Day, hoping the crowds would be down yet the weather still okay (I'm a dry-fly fisherman, mostly, and I've heard that this is a good dry-fly time up in Wyoming-Montana).

Neil
If you get the chance, try for the spring, especially on the Missouri. Egg patterns work wonders on spawning lake fish that migrate up the rivers.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Usually in Montana your ok as long as you stay within the high water mark, wonder out side it and they can getcha.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 PM

Highwater mark is the rule, but I have had landowners argue that the river flows on top of their property, therefore I am trespassing. Every time I have asked them to go call FWP and I will wait. I have yet to have them argue after I say that.