The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 09:13 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flyfishing Montana!

You're absolutely right about Redford's movie. Probably done a lot for high-end retailers like Orvis. I wasn't fly-fishing during the period of that movie, and was amazed when I went back about the incredible extra fishing pressure that movie apparently caused. I'm guessing by now many of the newbies have lost interest, but West Coasters still seem to be buying any fishable river access they can. Guess they have to put their money somewhere now that the real estate bubble's burst.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:19 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

I moved into a new subdivision three years ago. Almost all my neighbors are from out of state. The guy across the street from me started fly fishing last year. His truck is now covered in every sticker from "Dry Fly" to "Fish Fear Me". I made the mistake of taking him on the Ruby with me earlier this year and he makes the trip once a month now. I grew up here, I was 10 years old when I caught my first fish on a fly rod. I have never in my life seen as much pressure on the rivers as I have seen in the last 6 years. When the Missouri river rainbows spawn now, I have to get to the river 1-2 hours before sun up to secure my spot. I hear Alaska calling my name......if they would have me.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisher77 View Post
If you get the chance, try for the spring, especially on the Missouri. Egg patterns work wonders on spawning lake fish that migrate up the rivers.
Chris, funny you mentioned that. I was up in Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons late May-early June a year or so ago. Got 8" of snow on Memorial Day - a wonderful respite from being from an already-too-hot Gulf Coast. I had some great dry fly fishing alongside some of the small streams feeding into Snake River lakes (i.e., Jenny Lake). With the spring runoff normally expected that time of the year, I was really surprised. Perhaps Montana works the same way alongside lakes that time of year.

Neil
Old 12-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, I come across as hating change. I know it is going to happen, I can only hope that I have a good rod, good reel, rising fish, and open waters till the day I die. I do not know what I would do if I didn't have a cold blue ribbon stream to stand in every chance I get.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:31 PM

This is really a sad commentary . . .
Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisher77 View Post
I grew up here, I was 10 years old when I caught my first fish on a fly rod. I have never in my life seen as much pressure on the rivers as I have seen in the last 6 years. When the Missouri river rainbows spawn now, I have to get to the river 1-2 hours before sun up to secure my spot.
Chris, this is really a sad commentary . . .
Old 12-26-2007, 09:38 PM

It is sad that I am only 30 and I can talk this way!!! The good news is, there are plenty of hidden treasures, may it be Wyoming or Montana, there are still ample places to wet a line and still some very large fish to be caught. We can just be gratefull that we have this at our fingertips. Many pay thousands to do what we can on any given weekend. I will still do my annual trip to Yellowstone for the salmon flies, despite the crowds, and I will still roll out of bed at 5:00am to secure my spawning bed on the Missouri. I am just thankfull I can afford to live here and afford to participate in what I am finally discovering to be a "rich mans hobby".
Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 AM

cbl0325 is on a distinguished road

I'll be in the great state of Montana the third week in June, it's a yearly father/son fishing trip with my dad so I really want it to be special - and make sure the place I'm going is going to be scenic where we can just take it all in while experiencing our favorite sport - flyfishing. I feel bad that some people don't like that outsiders come in and fish the rivers because I actually just got my Dad and brother to fly fish after working on them for 10 years trying to get them into fly fishing. We live on the Texas coast and we wade alongside people from all over the country - and world for that matter and I always enjoy showing them the ropes or helping them by giving them flies that are working, etc.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 PM

CBL0325, speaking also as a Texan, I don't think it's so much outsiders coming to Montana to fly-fish. That adds a great deal to the local economy. I think it's more the outsiders caught up in the whole A River Runs Through It thing who are buying up land adjoining fishable water and then fencing it off, thereby closing public access for fishing.

But maybe it's more than that . . .
Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl0325 View Post
I'll be in the great state of Montana the third week in June, it's a yearly father/son fishing trip with my dad so I really want it to be special - and make sure the place I'm going is going to be scenic where we can just take it all in while experiencing our favorite sport - flyfishing. I feel bad that some people don't like that outsiders come in and fish the rivers because I actually just got my Dad and brother to fly fish after working on them for 10 years trying to get them into fly fishing. We live on the Texas coast and we wade alongside people from all over the country - and world for that matter and I always enjoy showing them the ropes or helping them by giving them flies that are working, etc.
No no, don't get me wrong, we don't mind people coming in and fishing our rivers one bit. We like sharing our great state with the rest of the country. A lot of people get upset with the out of state land owners whom fight tooth and nail against our stream access laws. They buy the land around the rivers then want nobody to fish the stretch that runs through or adjacent to their property. Come to Montana, enjoy our beautiful state, you are even free to purchase your own chunk, just please understand the rivers are for all people to enjoy, just not those who can afford to own their own chunk. Being that we rank last in wages, not a many of us will ever be able to afford our own river front property.