The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 06:18 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flyfishing Montana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl0325 View Post
I'll be in the great state of Montana the third week in June.
All I can say is Salmon Fly, Salmon Fly, Salmon Fly. If you get a chance, I would jet on over to the Madison. It isn't to far from Twin Bridges and, depending on when the hatch comes off, you can have the privledge of rising browns hitting index finger long flies. Give Madison River Outfitters a call on one of your free days and they will tell you what stretch the flies are on. Be warned however, their may be numerous people and lots of drift boats on that stretch.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisher77 View Post
No no, don't get me wrong, we don't mind people coming in and fishing our rivers one bit. We like sharing our great state with the rest of the country. A lot of people get upset with the out of state land owners whom fight tooth and nail against our stream access laws. They buy the land around the rivers then want nobody to fish the stretch that runs through or adjacent to their property. Come to Montana, enjoy our beautiful state, you are even free to purchase your own chunk, just please understand the rivers are for all people to enjoy, just not those who can afford to own their own chunk. Being that we rank last in wages, not a many of us will ever be able to afford our own river front property.
Well said, Chris!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 PM

Thank you, and glad to offer tips (the little I know) for anyone coming up our way.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Flyfishing Montana!

Chris (& anyone else who wants to chime in), this is sort of a stupid question, but for an out-of-stater who doesn't really want to get involved in figuring out the in's and out's of private vs. public access, does it make sense for me to just restrict fly-fishing to Montana national park lands like Glacier and Yellowstone (such has served me so well in Wyoming's Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons/Yellowstone)?

Neil
Old 12-28-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Chris (& anyone else who wants to chime in), this is sort of a stupid question, but for an out-of-stater who doesn't really want to get involved in figuring out the in's and out's of private vs. public access, does it make sense for me to just restrict fly-fishing to Montana national park lands like Glacier and Yellowstone (such has served me so well in Wyoming's Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons/Yellowstone)?

Neil
The in's and out's of private land in Montana is plain and simple. You can access any stream or river from public land such as national forest, BLM, or right of way. The last one is important because any stream or river that crosses a road can be accessed at the bridge, if possible. Land owners around the Madison valley have been stringing 4 to 5 wire fences to the bridge abutments to prevent access, or their reason, to keep cows in. After that, it is pretty simplistic. You stay within the high water mark and you are legal. You can and will see a lot of "no hunting, fishing, or trespassing" signs along rivers that cross into private land. Just remember, you stay within the high water mark, you are in the clear regardless of what the sign, or the owner says. The plus side to wandering outside our national parks is less crowds. Regardless of the hatch, time of year and weather, you can always find a stretch of water that you can have all to yourself.