The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 PM

iluv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default new to FF and have questions

my current rod is a 2 piece 8'6 6wt. would i get a noticable diffference in casting distance with a 9'?

and if i get another rod would a 3-4 or 5 piece of the same weight be more whippy and have less backbone?

thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: new to FF and have questions

The action of a rod determines how "whippy" it is. I really don't think 6" is going to cast farther, it's technique. I like my 8'6" 4wt TFO better than my daughters 9'0" 4wt TFO. Same action but mine feels better to me.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fish View Post
my current rod is a 2 piece 8'6 6wt. would i get a noticable diffference in casting distance with a 9'?
It depends on how proficient of a caster that you are. So my answer is maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fish View Post
and if i get another rod would a 3-4 or 5 piece of the same weight be more whippy and have less backbone?
If you had a rod in the same rod weight made from the same blank, and they were sectioned differently, the rod with more sections would feel stiffer due to more ferrules. Again this would depend on how proficient of a caster that you are. It also depends on the quality of the blank.

I have cast some rod models that were available in two piece and four piece configurations. I noticed some differences with some of the rods made from earlier generations of graphite. I did not noticed much or any differences with rods made from newer generations of graphite.

Dennis
Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough

I really don't think a 6 inch longer rod will make a huge difference as much as your casting technique and maybe the materials and action speed of the next rod.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I don't know if you can do this but can you possibly cast the rod your interested in? I know bass pro asked me if I wanted to do this when I got my TFO. If you can't cast them can you at least handle them? I bought TFO's because of there warranty, sure there's better rods but if I don't handle a bunch of other rods then I won't want them. Good luck with your selection.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:57 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
It depends on how proficient of a caster that you are. So my answer is maybe.
Amen, Dennis!

There are too many variables involved for a definite answer. Some of these variables are: the actual "strength" of each rod, where each bends, the strength of the caster compared to the weigt of the line being cast, the ability of the caster, the caster's style of casting.....

The only way to tell is try them out.

But even those results are not good for a lifetime. As a young caster gets better, he may find a longer, more powerful rod to line ratio works much better for him.

As an experienced caster gets older (and weaker ) , he may find that a shorter rod works better for him.