The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default i am back a little more for real this time and a question for you

Hi guys

sorry i havent been on work is busy (crazy busy) and been loooking after my wife since we found out she was pregnant ( a complete surprise ) she has been having a hard time we have also decided to move back to Scotland to raise our family as we have been offered 5 Acres from my parents as a Baby gift to build a house and that we arent sure when but will be within the next few months before the baby . Sadly i havent had a chance to get out fishing here in Utah. hopefully going to borrow some gear from work and head out to the Provo in the next week weeks
I also have a quick question i am looking to by a new reel i am thinking of the Hardy Ultra light 5000/6000DD and the Lamson Guru 2 (the Black one) i am going to be putting a 6 or 7 wt on it and i will be fishing for Big Browns and Atlantic salmon back in Scotland. I am not really familiar with Lamson Reels i know that they are popular. I am admitidley a Hardy fan but am disapointed that most of there stuff is made in Korea and quality isnt as good as it used to be.

Both reels are about the same in price i can get either for around $110 through my work. my main concern is i want a reel that is going to last and handle fish from 1/2 pound browns to 15-20 atlantic salmon, I do have my other reel for smaller fish

thanks wilky
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i am back a little more for real this time and a question for you

Wilky: Welcome back and congrats on the baby. Personally, I'm a Lamson fan, I just love the drag system on their reels, smooth as silk.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the Guru 3 would be a better fit for a 6 and 7 weight rods. It is light enough for most modern rods. The main advantage is the larger diameter for faster line pick up.

I would also lean towards the 6000DD from Hardy for the same reasons.

I cannot comment on the performance of the Hardy since it has not been on the market for a long enough period.

The Guru could work for you although I think that the Lamson cone and bearing system is a bit weak on the high end. From the low to mid range drag settings, the Guru is stellar. If your Atlantic Salmon fight as fierce as a West Coast USA Steelhead, the system should be fine. If you use proper rod leverage, a mid range set Lamson could handle a 15 to 20 pound fish. My largest Steelhead on the fly was 14 pound Rogue River USA wild buck. I used a Lamson Litespeed 3 on that fish.

Dennis
Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I love my Lamson reel. Seems like you couldn't break one since there all metal

Another major plus like everyone said before is lamsons drag. In one of the fly shops here they had a lamson in a bowl of sand and you could reel it in the sand and it work fine. Never got a grain of sand in it for how many times I tried it. If you set your reel in the sand a lot that is a major plus.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 AM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I agree on Lamson. Their reels have never given me any issues and laying your reel in the sand or mud is never an issue as well just pick it up and dip it in the water! The drag is plenty powerful in all settings and does not heat up much. The bonus would be the special edition Guru! that is a sleek looking reel.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Wilky!...welcome backand congrats on the baby
Old 06-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky View Post
Hi guys

been loooking after my wife since we found out she was pregnant ( a complete surprise )
Congrats on the Baby! Don't own a Lamson or a Hardy so I am no help. But again, Congrats.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post
I agree on Lamson. Their reels have never given me any issues and laying your reel in the sand or mud is never an issue as well just pick it up and dip it in the water!
I wish just putting the reel in the water always fixes it but ive ruined two reels that way at the same lake by putting them in this very fine sand while changing flies and not even thinking about it. I lost some money doing that so I only use Lamson for that reason.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I love Lamsons! My problem is I can't decide how many of each size I need! At the moment I am well past need and well into want!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

Hey Wilky

Just been in the States a couple of years and just getting settled now. I don't think you will be doing much Atlantic salmon fishing with a 7 weight though. My favourite rig was a 10 weight 15' bruce and Walker! For lower water I had a 12' 8 weight.