The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Little kayak Adventure

I have been paddling for years, but havnt much kayak fished sinc emy kayak is a touring boat.. that may change soon however after Wednesday nights fly fishing club meeting at a private lake and getting to barrow a kayak. heres the results. only wish I had more tiem to fish there.

https://vimeo.com/44556178

enjoy! dont ask what type of kayak, just think sit down surfboard

mike
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Little kayak Adventure

Kayak fishing is one of the fastest growing segments of the fishing industry and their are even fishing tournments and TV fishing shows about kayak fishing. My son has a two man Hobi fishing kayak on long island and fishes the long island sound with it a lot and has never had a problem handling whatever the weather through at him.

In fact I've been thinking of getting one for around here in Arkansas and it's just a question of if I want to spend the money.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Little kayak Adventure

for sure, you can get a 'fishing ' kayak from bps for 499. but a deal set up is gonna run ove 1k. like the jackson coosa I want
Old 06-23-2012, 09:45 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Little kayak Adventure

Well based on the little I know it's all about what type of water you are going to fish. The ones with the seat on top of the kayak are usually self venting meaning if you take a wave it vents the water out through the hull. If you are fishing small in land lakes and small streams some of the chepaer ones would work but it may not not have all the cool add ons like rod holders, keel, and as much extra storage.

I'm still using a very old pontoon float boat I had in Colorado and I would love to move up to a fishing kayak but right now the prices are fairly steep. When I bought my pontoon float back in the late 90's it was $750 ( high back then) and today they sell for a lot less so hopefully as more and more makers of fishing kayaks enter the market we will be able to get some at lower prices.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

My kind of meeting! Kayak fishing is great, I have a sit inside but greatly prefer a sit on top. If you can go out on somebody elses kayak a few times and make sure it is something you want to stick with I recommend a higher quality company like Wilderness Systems (I have a Pungo). They will last longer and not show wear as much. That being said anything to get you on the water is better than nothing. And great video, very stable.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 PM

Click the image to open in full size.

im no stranger to kayaking, I got my current yak in 04 as soon as I had a driver Lic and vechical capable to haul it. this photo is a few years ago on one of my many 30+ mile river trips guiding some boy scouts to the camp islands worth using. I didnt do much fishing then, but I did take minimal gear to try but my boat needs then where long distance river trips. I think a fishing yak 12+ft long with enough inside storage would make this trip also. on the river i could hold 6mph all day with minium effort I know ill be working harded with a yak thats 10 inches wider back before I came back from Germany in 02 I really liked the WS kayaks and planned to get the pamlico when I got back state side, I ended up with the 14ft Dagger Charelston due to a good deal. and glad i did. Im look at all the options the paddle stores carry in my area to see what fits my fly fishing needs.
Mike
Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I've been looking at Native kayaks, but the Hobie MirageDrive system has caught my eye as well... Good luck, there's so many options!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I've been looking at Native kayaks, but the Hobie MirageDrive system has caught my eye as well... Good luck, there's so many options!
those flipper drives are cool, but I wouldnt use on in anything other then open water.. the ones withthe retracting pedal trolling motor are neat
Old 06-23-2012, 11:44 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I've spin-fished out of my 'yak many times, but this evening was the first that I attempted fly-fishing from it. I'm actually glad that either the fish weren't biting, or I was using all the wrong flies, as I had more than enough challenges just mastering my casts from the seated position (and using the word "mastering" is overly gracious!).

I was in a "panfish" mill-pond tonight, so I used my 3-weight. It's only a 7'6" rod, so next time I'll use my 9' 5-weight. Maybe the extra 18" will help.

But it was great to get out. It's why we call it "fishing" and not "catching". I now know that I've got a bit of practice to do, so that'll get me out even more.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Rick, the extra length on the rod should help keep line off the water during your backcast. It's one of the reasons (besides euro nymphing) a lot of people are angling toward 10' rods.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...