The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Head cement question

Hey folks,

I currently use flexement from waspi, and have discovered that no matter how careful I am, the stuff still has a tendency to start drying out and get way too viscous. Anyone have any tips for thinning head cement back out when it does this?

Thanks,
Jor
Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 AM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Head cement question

I use clear nail polish, and never looked back, cheap as dirt.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A bit of nail polish thinner will do the job; just go light on the amount. Another 'tip' is Sally Hanson's "Hard as Nails" (ladies nail polish) for head cement. Half the 'English Speaking World' uses the product.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

awesome! Thanks for the advice folks! Would you say nail polish is better than the flexement for finishing the head in flies? (I like the flexement for applying to wing case material to keep it from splitting.)
Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Right on FAE, wise words as usual Sally Hansen's is my choice of head cement. Easy to apply, holds up well, cheap and readily available.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

There's quite a few different "Hard as Nails"... which one do people use?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Which ever one i can "borrow" from my girlfriend
Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This one, the original.

Sally Hansen | Hard As Nails
Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I use the clear with nylon most, but they have one called "No Chip" too which is good, and one called "Top Coat" for a nice shiny final coat.

Depending on what types of flies you tie, there could be uses for several of the Sally Hansen products, as some are thinner than others.

To the OP, Wapsi used to have a thinner for their head cements, which is what you should use with flexament. Not all nail polish thinners are compatible with all head cements. So be sure to use the correct thinner. I ruined a couple of bottles of head cement learning this!

Nail polish is not always cheaper than head cement if you compare the prices per ounce, but shipping & postage regulations have gotten so strict that it's much more economical in the long run to buy the Sally Hansen's, which is widely available, unless you have a fly shop near by that sells an inexpensive head cement. (Cheap at a fly shop, fat chance of that!)

When I tied commercially, I used to buy one that Wapsi sold by the quart. Had to buy the thinner, because I had the same issue with it thickening, because I just couldn't tie fast enough to use it before it got thick. But postal shipping regs changed because it's flammable & the shipping for it & the thinner got to be ridiculously expensive, so I just went with the Sally Hansens & never looked back!

As others have said, it's as good as any head cement you will find too!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
(Cheap at a fly shop, fat chance of that!)
Thank God I didn't have a mouth full of coffee when I read that one liner. I'd be looking at a new key board for my lap top.

Edit to add another thought. Don't just get 'stuck' using SH's clear, think outside the box. On larger ties the kind that have the metal sparkle in them really can change the look of the finished product.