The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Don't come to Colorado!

If you are planning a trout trip, don't come to Colorado! The snow pack was one of the lowest on record and melted early. No rain for a month in my area and it has been 90 degrees or above every day for the last week here (we normally have about 2or 3 days of 90 degrees all summer and never in June!). I fished the salmon fly hatch at water levels usually not seen until July. There was no real runoff this year. There have already been voluntary "no fishing" rules for several streams and there are mandatory no fishing rules on many streams that are set to kick in. There is a 0% chance of rain every day but two out of the next 10 and for the other two there is a 20% and a 40% chance. With Denver taking water and the ranchers taking the water for irrigation there is none left for the trout. In looking at the water flow rates, Colorado is on track to set a new record low (the old record was set in 2002).
My home river is flowing at 10% of what it was last year at this time!
In my opinion, if things don't change soon, we will lose a large percentage of the trout in our rivers this summer which does not make the next several years look very good for fishing in Colorado!
The best description of the situation is "Grim".
Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Don't come to Colorado!

Ditto. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

I dont mind global warming melting the ice caps but I dont know about it taking our fish. But yeah, I heard that from one of the guys that used to guide in Colorado.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

It was bad in New Mexico and Colorado last year and looks bad this year. Last year they closed the Carson National Forest on the day I departed Houston. I fished a lake due to could not enter the forest. During July I'll be trying to fish again in the Carson which as of now is stilll open. Taking a pontoon with me to fish Eagle Nest Lake. Planning to fish the Conejos in Colorado for about 4 days also. Been looking at stream flows and they are low. I have not seen any flow reduction on the San Juan, but that probably would not happen until late in the year if the rains don't come and lake level drops considerably. Last year the Guadalupe in Texas was so low that I had to drag my kayak through several areas. This continued hot and dry weather is affecting many of us and mostly the fish.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Don't come to Colorado!

I'm suppose to go to Colorado in September to meet a buddy and we are suppose go down to fish the San Jaun in New Mexico. Sounds like those plans may fall through if the river conditions are really bad.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM

roloc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to roloc

I second this. It was sort of nice at first fishing during the normal run off period, but now I am just plain worried. I fished Boulder Creek this morning and it was 80 degrees by 6 am. I don't think I have ever seen that here.

Do you have any more information on the voluntary or mandatory stream closures? I haven't seen anything on the CDOW site.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:19 PM

khende is on a distinguished road

I am kind of locked in, both my kids now live in Colorado and I have RV Park reservations in Grand Lake, Estes Park and South Fork staying about a week in each place, starting July 6th. How are the fires affecting these places. I plan on fishing the upper Colorado and in and around Grand Lake. In Estes Park I will be right on the Big Thompson. In South Fork I will be on the Rio Grande.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

80 degrees in Boulder creek! poor fish, I hope they find some shade. There were some nice browns in town, hopefully they will make it through the summer. Especially with the homeless guys picking them off with worms. Try not to leave any flies stuck in trees if possible, I believe these become worm rigs for the hungry homeless. I know of a few holes that had big browns that are now only populated by little fish...

For now I have been bass and carp fishing instead, the heat seems to do them well (carp actually chased a crayfish pattern this morning). Fish were eating like crazy 6:30-8am.

@khende, I would focus on lake fishing if you can. The lake water will stay colder longer. Grand lake/estes area should be ok. Get that chironimid retrieve down and maybe bring a bellyboat or a kayak to fish from. Bring a full sink or sink tip line. There is some smoke from fires, but not too bad. Who knows by July though, make sure to check road access. Camp fires are forbidden in most if not all counties, and camp stoves too in some places.
Check this link for fire info:
InciWeb the Incident Information System: Colorado Incidents

I plan on hiking up higher this summer to some lakes that will stay cold.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:03 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird630 View Post
I'm suppose to go to Colorado in September to meet a buddy and we are suppose go down to fish the San Jaun in New Mexico. Sounds like those plans may fall through if the river conditions are really bad.
San Juan currently is in excellent shape at 1000cfs with avg. 700. It being a tail water it should hold up okay into the fall without the rains. However with this hot dry weather the past two years all bets are off. I'll be making my reservations soon for the San Juan in late Oct. into November. Freebird you will be there for one of the best months of the year; as if any month on the San Juan is not tops.

San Juan Data as of today: Water Summary
Today is day 270 of 366 for the Water Year 2012. We are 74% through the Water Year.
Last Reading: 6052.88 on Jun 25, 2012
Lake Navajo was last within 2" of this elevation on Apr 7, 2010

Elevation & Content Water Inflow Data Navajo Dam Dam Release Data
Lake Navajo is 32.12 feet below Full Pool (Elevation 6085.00 )

By content, Lake Navajo is 74.28% of Full Pool (1,696,000 af) Total inflows for water year 2012: 413,125 acre feet

This is 48.38% of the June 25th average of 853,930 acre feet Total releases for water year 2012: 346,702 acre feet

This is 72.29% of last year's release of 479,618 acre feet
During WY 2012, water storage has fallen by 67,190 AF yet total inflows have exceeded total outflows by 66,423 AF
Inflows for WY 2012 are 79.1% of WY 2011 Rivers feeding are running at 0% of the Jun 26th avg

So take anything I say with a grain of salt! I would check a few weeks before departing.

Last edited by osok; 06-26-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:05 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

It has been very dry here in Middle TN as well. I just fished a creek this morning (warm water) that I have fished for 8 years and it is well below normal August lows. There was almost no current except in the less than ankle deep riffles. I hope the bass and gills survive the summer.