The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 PM

iluv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis fly sample pack

Has anyone purchased the fly sample pack from orvis? If so what did you think of it? was it worth the 10 bucks?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 PM

hal_sch has a spectacular aura abouthal_sch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Orvis fly sample pack

yes and yes. well worth the 10 bucks
Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 PM

reason im asking is cause i bought the cabelas trout trophy pack cause it was in the bargain basement. I use a 8'6 6wt and most of the flys in that pack are hook size 6, a couple 4s and a couple 8s.

it came with 2 conehead buggers, conehead muddlers and a couple bunnies which i am having a problem casting cause once they are wet they get very heavy.

Is my problem that they are to heavy for my rod or is it my lack of experience with fly fishing.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Probably just that you need to learn to cast them. A 6wt should be able to cast those flies. Such heavy flies might not cast pretty, but they'll cast, you just need to figure out the timing. Oh, and I think the Orvis fly pack is worth it if you need them.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM

I started the day with a 3x tippet throwing a small army ant using a 3x tippet. Should I bump up the tippet size. Would that help at all????
Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fish View Post
I use a 8'6 6wt and most of the flys in that pack are hook size 6, a couple 4s and a couple 8s.

it came with 2 conehead buggers, conehead muddlers and a couple bunnies which i am having a problem casting cause once they are wet they get very heavy.

Is my problem that they are to heavy for my rod or is it my lack of experience with fly fishing.
Not too heavy for the rod but you are using too thin a leader plus inexperience with casting heavy flies.

For a beginner, divide the hook size by 4. I suggest using 1X on the size 4 and 6 and 2X on the size 8 hook. Also shorten the leader. As a beginner using floating line and a heavy streamer, I'd use a 5 to 6 foot leader and no longer unless you are fishing deep water. Get a 9 foot leader and cut it back until you get to 1X or 2X diameter. There is really no need for a long tippet since you are looking for a drag free float.

For streamers, I use a sink tip line or a full sinking line. In that case I will just put on 2 feet of straight mono.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 AM

steve_eth is on a distinguished road

I grabbed this fly set and like what they had. It had all hook sizes. Some I used that day, some I would most likely not use. I divided the flies with my son.

Great deal if you figure you pay $1-2 per fly. Its a varied pack and you can honestly walk out of the house for a day of fishing and just take this set up to cover most scenarios.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fish View Post
It's your lack of experience.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

we got couple of these packs last year and were pleased with the quality - the pack they come with actually makes a nice educational presentation display -
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

I think it is a great deal and a good selection of flies that you will use.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach