The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default made a small mistake

Fishing with a friend recently and he wanted to try my Lamiglas 3wt.
I handed it to him and he handed me his TFO Lefty Kreh Signature 3wt to hold.

I made a small mistake and cast it a few times.

I say small mistake because it's a relatively inexpensive rod and I have to have one now.

It is one of the few rods I've picked up and had to make no adjustment to my casting stroke to cast it well. It fits my timing perfectly, and I was impressed with the way it loads and transmits the feel of loading. No looking at the line required for me to lay out a good cast with it, and the accuracy of the cast was amazing. I simply looked at the spot I wanted to hit, and the fly was gently landing right on the spot every time (it was also a calm evening with no wind).

So...........
The only reasonable thing to do was to come home and order one for myself.

BTW - The only other rod that I have ever tried that "fit" me perfectly was my 6wt Ross FlyStik. With a 6wt line there's "no adjustment required" with that rod in my hand.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 AM

steve_eth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: made a small mistake

A few cheaper ones on Ebay for 84 and Ascent for 79!!

Everywhere else I see them for 109 to 119.

TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series Fly Rod 3wt 7'6",Temple Fork Outfitters,Fly Fishing Tackle,Fly Rods,10 weight rod

TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series Fly Rod,2pc 3wt, 7'6" Temple Fork Outfitters | eBay

Im looking for a small stream rod as well and this might be it?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Love it when someone hands you a rod (in my case probably a 2-hander) and 2nd - 3rd cast from the get-go you're belting out line. Some years back we were having a local 2-hander gathering and Bob Meiser (R B Meiser Rods) had a new 7-8-9 13'6'' stick for folks to try.

Took that Puppy down to the river (Rogue) and within 5 minutes I was consistently putting out 130 foot casts. I probably could have gone a bit further, but that's the length of the line and leader.

Quite a crowd off to the sides watching that performance. End game is this was 'rod #1' of its type and ended up being 'named after me.' ("FES" for Fred Evans Special) Still own/fish that rod for Salmon and Winter Run Steelhead.

A "I gotta get me one of these things" moment.

fae
Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

AJ did that to me when he handed me a prototype Allen 3-weight a couple of months ago..... It's now on my shopping list.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yep, the guys at Allen got me with the Olympic series with that trick at the show in Somerset... Fred, that's a pretty cool story about the Rogue and Bob Meiser and your 'signature series'

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...