The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: is there a problem??

Like Ard who doesn't seem to have bad days with single handed rods, the same will happen with you.
This isn't automatic though and you usually have to pay your dues by doing most everything suggested above. It takes most humans hours upon hours of GOOD practice to reach the point that the bad days are rare (I said most humans because of Diver Dans' friend who must have sold his soul to be so good so early in his casting career)
Good practice is knowing a good from bad cast and how to get there. This is done the hard way through trial and error, the moderately hard way through books and video's and the easier way through lessons from a good instructor. An instructor sees your cast and provides instant feedback and hints for correcting bad habits. When you know what a bad cast is from a good your practice will much more effective and you will be practicing good habits and not ingraining the bad stuff.
Even after you get things worked out you won't be wasting time or money in casting books and videos', with them you can always learn something that will benefit your particular style and needs.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:26 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: is there a problem??

You forgot one other way to quickly correct poor casting habits, having dear old dad, rest his soul, glaring down at you and telling you to stop 'whipping off my damn flies". His 6'5" stature and stern look would correct anything I had going on in my casting real quick like.