The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 PM

iluv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default travel rod

I am i need of a travel rod for hiking into remote river areas. something 4 or 5 piece in a 8-9' 6wt. Prefer a 8'6 model. thats what im comfortable with. dont want to spend more than 250. what do you all suggest?

thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: travel rod

I have a 6pc 9' TFO Pro 6wt that I use for a travel rod. I like it with a SA Headstart 6(.5)wt line. I don't know how easy they are to find--I got mine on clearance (with a tube!) years ago at Kittery Trading Post. It looks like the new Professional II rods only come in a 4pc 6wt.

Having said that, you might also want to look into a 8'6" 4pc 5wt BVK. You could always try overlining with a 5.5 or 6wt line.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I have a 7 wt BVK, and I think 7 and 8 are sweet spots for that series. If you're looking for a true 6, I hear great things about Winston Passports. BVK 5 with a 5.5 or 6 line might do it for you if you like em pretty fast
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

1st choice would be one of the TFO series. Next would be the sage vantage. (for me) These are rods you really need to try out first hand, because the actions vary so much. Check out your local fly shop. There are LOTS of 4 piece rods in this weight that would foot the bill. Good quality can be had at a reasonable price point. Also check out Leland upgrade on the big giant bay....Good deals if you know what your looking for

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

The only true travel rod i've ever used was a Cabela's Stowaway 6, 6 for number of sections. Each section was about 18 inches long, I think. I will say it was a real flyrod, it cast very well, with good feel and accuracy. I think they go for around $150, but don't quote me on that.

Most of the time, I just bring my 4 pc. St. Croix on airplane trips, but some airlines are weirder than others about rods.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 PM

whats your opinions on the orvis clearwater combo in the 8'6 5wt? most of my fishing will be on three different rivers for landlocked salmon in the 1-4 pound range and brook trout around the same. I throw mostly dry flys from 10-14 size, a few streamers, #10&12 army ants and muddlers of the same size.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM

ok, so i think i have made up my mind. i think im getting an 8'6 5wt 4piece cabelas L-tech. Any opinions?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Just ask Cabelas if they sell many of these Rods,I also checked out their Customer Reviews,just Google "cabelas l tech", people with them are very satisfied,another thing is,if Cabelas had bad reports of them they would soon ditch them.

Brian.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 PM

yes, they have had very good reviews. it was a toss up between one of these or cabelas stowaway 8'6 5wt.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fish View Post
I am i need of a travel rod for hiking into remote river areas. something 4 or 5 piece in a 8-9' 6wt. Prefer a 8'6 model. thats what im comfortable with. dont want to spend more than 250. what do you all suggest?

thanks

Try the 6 piece Redington CT. They have a 3wt and a 5wt model in the 6 piece versions. I just got the 3wt for backpacking trips to remote streams. The price is very reasonable so I would not be heartbroken if I ended up breaking it during one of the trips. It casts very well (if you like slower mid flex rods) & has a nice sensitive tip.