The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default a short fly rod?

well ive been fly fishing for about 3 months now and ive been on plenty of different rivers and id really like to have a small rod and reel combo is there a such thing for a fly rod? will they still cast far and put up with a 20 inch trout? so what is a good rod and reel? ( i need a backup reel anyways and wouldn't mind have a really nice one. i wanna stay around 300ish for both rod and reel. thanks guys!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: a short fly rod?

What do you mean by small? Like packs down small or is short in fully asembled length or what? Short answer is yes to all of the above however , with a bit more specifics I'm sure the forum can get you some proper answers!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 PM

branjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura aboutbranjg has a spectacular aura about

Although I'm sure there are many fine choices, my vote will be for a white river classic 5'8" #4 from BPS. I held onto this little rod for a couple years before I really started using it. I really enjoy it now for anything smaller than 15' or so wide. It hasn't touched a 20 incher, but has handled up to 16" or so just fine. Mine is paired with a old SA line holder. All the best in your search, and as always if possible "try before you buy".
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good call Bran, I probably should have read the thread title again to answer my own question

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by branjg View Post
Although I'm sure there are many fine choices, my vote will be for a white river classic 5'8" #4 from BPS. I held onto this little rod for a couple years before I really started using it. I really enjoy it now for anything smaller than 15' or so wide. It hasn't touched a 20 incher, but has handled up to 16" or so just fine. Mine is paired with a old SA line holder. All the best in your search, and as always if possible "try before you buy".

Funny, I was gonna send him a message saying I have one of these I'm gonna put up for sale.

It is a great little rod (in fact and amazing little rod), I just have too many great little rods and I need to fund a fishing vacation.

I'll sell it with a BPS reel and line.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

sorry about not being clear but yes a shot rod when its fully put together. and thanks bran i will for sure look into that rod that is the perfect size im looking for i have a spinner rod i use right now that is that size for small creeks and i would love to fly fish i just cant bring my 8'6 in a lot of the places i go can you cast about the same distance with it as you can a regular size rod?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 AM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

If you are fishing places you can't take an 8'6" stick, casting distance shouldn't be an issue. Many times I have used the top section of my 9 footer and just put the reel in a pocket. Normally on a small brook you are only casting 10'-20' or even less. (My last brook trout was about a 5'cast.)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I am only fair at casting, but I can't cast as far with one of my 6'6" rods as I can with an 8'6" or 9' rod. Not a huge loss in distance, but for me I'd guess it's somewhere close to the % in difference in rod length. (A 6'6" rod is 75% the length of an 8'6" rod - I can cast 60' easily with an 8'6" 5wt, and I can cast 45' with the 6'6" 5wt for example)
I haven't specifically measured casting distance on a "level playing field", but just estimating from actual fishing situations.

I have a few short rods (6'6" 3wt, 4/5wt, 5wt) I like for small streams where casting distance is very limited anyway. In most of those situations the rod is no handicap as there is no real need (or possibility) for a long cast.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Short rods wont cast as far, unless you're a REALLY good caster I have found from experiance. That being said, with good line I can cast my 6'-6" 3wt almost as far as my cheapo 5wt rod with good line.

Wild Water Fly Fishing makes this -http://shop.wildwaterflyfishing.com/product_p/hx3-056-4.htm I have thought about buying one since I really like the shorter rods. Its a 5'-6" 3wt. I think if it was a 2wt I would have already bought it. I have also used my short 5' and 5'-6" ultra light spinning rods as fly rods too when I had a reel but no rod, They actually did alright for the super tight creek I was in.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 AM

steve_eth is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Lefty Kreh signature 7'6 3wt and spooled with 4wt line. I took it out for the first time yesterday for just a few minutes and do not think I will be able to get the hang of it.
Maybe my fly was too heavy, not sure but Ill give it another shot.
I would try one out first if you know someone that has one. Ive been at it about the same time as you.

That being said. I dont think I will cast as far as I do with my 8'6 6wt. I dont know if upping the wt on my line would help at all or if I just need to get used to using the rods "whippyness" to my advantage.