The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default St Croix 4wt

I recently bought a St Croix 9', 4wt rod. I think this is the new 'Mexico' deal, but still,,,I think so far it's a dang nice rod for the money. Lays out line smoothly but with authority. I think with a 5wt line it might make a very excellent nymph rod. The translucent deep color of the rod blank itself is gorgeous. The reel seat is kinda 'plain' but not bad at all. Mounted an Orvis Access mid arbor reel to the rod. I think it's gonna be a winner.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: St Croix 4wt

St. Croix has always been that sleeper company that never thrives or boasts on marketability. They make fine casting rods in the good ol USA and a select few down south of the border that never seem to disapoint on quality. I have been a loyal St. Croix rod fan for years mainly with their legend series rods. They always promote a good price point on their rods and their warranty service is very good as well.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Bravo! you just proved an important point that many (including myself) overlook when we chase / lust after tackle: How the rod performs for your specific stroke is more important than the label on it's blank. In my humble opinion, even the entry level rods from good tackle companies are very good these days. St. Croix has always built great rods.

Enjoy the rod!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

I've never cast a St. Croix fly rod, but the technology used in their spinning tackle has always been impressive. They even have a lot of fancy names to say that its good like "Integrated Poly Curve".

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!