The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default any one use natural fly line color??

well im getting a shot rod and reel next week and im looking at line for it. ive been looking at getting scientific angler line and all of the trout line i have found is a willow color.. has anyone used this? can you see it ok? i would like a brighter fly line but cant seem to find it for the trout line thanks yall.

it will be a 4wt rod and reel setup by the way and im wanting a floating line.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any one use natural fly line color??

I have earth tone lines for me 2-4wt. I see them fine. I'm not sure that it makes much difference to the fish generally, but for some reason I like the earth toned lines, especially on my brown rods. Just a personal preference.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I have earth tone lines for me 2-4wt. I see them fine. I'm not sure that it makes much difference to the fish generally, but for some reason I like the earth toned lines, especially on my brown rods. Just a personal preference.
i jsut dont know if i will be able to see it good..i mean my bright color line right now is the only thing i see when it is in good moving water. i just dont wanna spend 80$ on line and not even be able to see it haha.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got a willow color SA line...very good line...I don't like flashy colors
Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 AM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

I agree with the others. My 5 wt. line is dark green and I can see it fine, even under heavy cover with low light. If you need you can always throw an indicator on the line.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Which SA trout lines have you looked at? I went to their site and most of their trout lines come in a choice of colors except the Textured Trout which has a dark willow tip for stealth I guess and a reglar willow body.
If you really want a brighter line you can go with many options in and out of the Scientic Anglers offerings.
I have no trouble seeing the willow lines for the most part. Sometimes while on the water they are hard to see but then I'm usually watching the fly or indicator anyhow.
Mastery Series Trout - Fly Lines - Lines
Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I generally have no issues seeing mine. Even though it's more of a "natural" color, it still contrasts with the color of the water since the water is almost never willow colored.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I prefer the bright lines too. I fish warm water and salt only and I am an old fart. I like to see the line and bright helps. I have 2 or 3 dark or more natural colors and I try not to use them unless I just have to. I vote for bright color.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Another vote for being able to see your line! Hard to mend what you can't see.

I have several willow lines and all are easy to see in normal conditions.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer willow or more muted colors for the majority of my lines, and especially for spring creeks--though I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference to the fish. For line that is used bushwhacking in heavily forested area, I actually prefer a brighter line so I'm able to see it better.

The key though, is getting a line that works well with your rod, then take best available color.