The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 03:11 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough
Default fishing the rmnp

Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I have a backpacking/camping/fishing trip coming up here next week. I'm a little concerned with the fires and high heat Colorado has been seeing I have called the ranger station and a fly shop around estes and they say come on out, everything is fine. Are they just saying this because they don't want to turn away tourist and create a scare so people won't travel there? Or is evrything actually ok out there. All I see on the news is heat and fire.

I know there is a similar thread going right now kindof on the same subject but, I'm specificaly looking for info on the rmnp. What is lake fishing like with the warmer weather they have been having? Will there still be topwater action?

I'm just a little worried, I don't want to make the 14 hour drive to find out my trip is going to suck. If going to rmnp isn't a good idea, could anyone make a suggestion on a last minute backpacking/camping/fishing destination? Thanks for your help, Brian.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: fishing the rmnp

Its still gonna be hot but you are much further north then where the fires are.

RMNP is a super cool place, there are plenty of lakes and trails to explore. It might be alittle low from low snow this year but should still be fun.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

We were down in Aurora last Tuesday and decided to drive over Trail Ridge Road on the way back to Pinedale, WY. I was thinking we would be able to see the fire to the west of Ft Collins and wasn't even sure if the road would be open, but the park is open and we didn't really see much of the fire. Off in the distance you could see some smoke but it didn't impact the park at all. You should be just fine. Lots of great places to fly fish in the park, have a great trip and be sure to post a trip report when you get back.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

RMNP should be fine, It was 100 down here in Denver and like 82 in Estes Park yesterday. Next week towrds the 6th temps are supposed to come down a little. My biggest concern wouldnt be the heat, but low water and overplaying the fish and being careful to not start new fires

The high park fire is 100% contained now and the smoke is really settled way down.

Remember to drink tons of fluids and bring ibuprofen. Altitude headaches suck when you arent used to being above 8000 feet.

Dont forget you Parachute Adams in a 18, Elk Hair Caddis in a 16, a few san jaun worms and some size 20 red copperjohns and you should be in good shape for the streams.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies guys, the heat isn't my biggest concern, here in Minnesota we have temps in the 90's with the humidity of a tropical rainforest right now, so a dry 80 degrees will feel great, you can't blink without breaking a sweat here. I have been tying a bunch of elk hair caddis as I have heard that's all you really need for dry flies. Do any kinds of streamers work up in those mountain lakes? This will be my first real fly fishing trip out west and I cannot wait, just a little nervous about the circumstances but I guess I will just try to make the best of it. Any other tips of suggestions are welcome. I will be posting a trip report when I get back, if I can ever figure out how to post a picture on here. Thanks again, Brian.