The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default If you were me , what would you do ?

So, boo hoo poor me. Last week was my Birthday and between all my family I got a $650 gift card to my favorite fly shop. Pathetic part is I can't figure out what I want. Maybe I am missing something here you guys can point out. Options of things Ive thought of and reasons why I havent pulled the trigger

1) New Sage TXL-F 1wt.
I already have an Elkhorn 1WT I like just fine and only get to fish it 6 times a year or so cause of the wind. Is it worth plowing that kind of coin in to a rod that gets limited use and I have one

2) Replace either of my older TXL 3piece 3 or 4 wts with the new 4 piecers.Kind of dumb since both are still in great shape

3) 9' 3WT Zenith or One for nymphing. Problem is I have a 9' 4wt Zaxis and when I nymph I tend to run doubles with splitshot and strike indicators and I struggle throwing that set up on a 3wt.....can you say tangles galore from horsing it around

4) New waders, Simms G3 Convertibles. My problem with this is I have Simms Freestones that are 3 years old, maybe 50 days on them since I wet wade so much. MY Freestones got a little funky smelling but a gentle cycle in the washer took care of that.

5) I have Orvis backpacks, Simms vests and hip packs

6) Fly tying set up. This and the waders are leading the race but since I cant even draw a stick figure I am sure if I tied flies it would look like someone super glued boogers and yarn on a hook.

I have more reels than rods so cant even dream up something there other than replacing my old evolution 0 with a evo LT0.

I know , sucks to be me but I dont want to just pee away good money.

PS I have a good 6wt set up with a backup rod that never gets used since I fish so much smaller water.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: If you were me , what would you do ?

well since you have more reels than rods, I would go for a rod to hang on one of them. Just my 2 cents. Not much help though i know.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I'd be a charitable fellow and help this guy replace the 5wt he broke.

First world problems for sure.

Does the gift card expire? If it doesn't I'd save it until the waders start leaking.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

It doesn't sound like you have a rod you want and need, so I say go with a nice fly tying setup + materials. You can do it, regardless of your drawing ability, and it will increase your enjoyment when out fishing.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice conundrum to have. Happy belated birthday!

If it were me, I'd just sit on it for a while and give it a lot of thought. Assuming of course the gift certificate doesn't expire. The IFTD show isn't that far off (Aug 16-18) and who knows what's coming for next year. Then there's the closeout options that will come once the new stuff is released. Not sure if you saw my post in the Rod forum, but Sage has a soft action rod to be released soon--the Circa.

Sounds like you are more than covered on rods though. That Z is an incredible rod and when you're fishing a stream that calls for a 9ft rod you have a great one. If I recall, the bulk of your fishing is on those TXL's which are nice little rods in their own right. If you aren't wearing waders that much, I'd stick with the ones you have until they leak. If you wore them more often than not when you fish then a new set makes a lot of sense.

As for tying...it is a slippery slope if you are into it, but it's not for everyone. You could easily drop all that coin on a vise, tools, materials, etc. If you are on the fence, you could always get a cheap or used setup to see if it's something you'd stick with. I do it and it's a great way to kill time when you can't fish for whatever reason. Again not for everyone. It takes time, patience and LOTS of practice to get good. Classes and Youtube can cut down your learning curve tremendously.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Nice gift! You seem to have the trout weights covered, do you fish for steelhead? 7 or 8wt?

Does the shop offer tying lessons so you can try it before investing more dollars? Believe me, if you fall for it like I did then the $650 is like the first payment on a mortgage that never expires. I went off of the deep end and enjoy fly fishing much more, even though I thought that would never be possible.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

x2 for the tying supplies. Has nothing to do with drawing! So much of it is learning thread and materials control and just following directions! Also take a good class. If you've not really tied before take the class first. It'll introduce you to the tools and materials and will help you get a better sense of what you're buying.

You mentioned having waders covered, do you have a good pair of wet wading shoes? Something for wet wading that works for hiking and is less clunky than wading boots.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Book a guided trip through the shop. You may learn something that may change fly fishing to you forever.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:15 AM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

What about a raft, belly boat or something like that? Or if there are any programs for teaching kids to fly fish, getting some equipment to donate to that.
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
What about a raft, belly boat or something like that?
That's a good thought! Or a float tube if you fish ponds.

You also don't have to be good at fly tying to catch fish on the flies you tie. I've tied off and on since I was a kid, though all my flies have looked like a kid tied them, and no one would ever buy one if in a store.

Nonetheless, a number of them turned out to be better fish catchers than the many sto bought ones in my box. I bought a new vise myself a few months ago and have started catching fish on my own flies again after a lot of years of paying big bucks for ones tied on hooks I don't like. It all starts out with an idea.